I don't know why I have 0's...tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had my 33 gallon tank up and running now for about 7 weeks. I had previously posted regarding some green cyano and green nuissance algae here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/what-is-this-green-algae-coralline-325555.html

One solution was to cut the lights for a few days. I did that, and it didn't make a difference really. I've scrubbed some of the worst patches of the cyano off. The algae isn't horrible, I am hoping it will just go. I've also taken an hour off of my daytime cycle hoping that will fix it.

However, when I first got the tank set up, I added a piece of live rock, a small bag of live sand, and a chunk of shrimp that I left in there for about 3 days. I didn't test my levels (I should have) until about 3 weeks or so later. All levels were 0. PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia.

I thought maybe I had done something wrong.

About 6 days ago I put in a big chunk of shrimp. It is rotted to the point where it has broken up into shredded shrimp lol
I checked my levels again...all ZEROES.

Has my tank cycled? It's the only thing I can think of. There wasn't even a small increase in ammonia with the shrimp in there.

Also, my salt is at 1.008. I checked it about 6 weeks ago, and I added the proper amount of salt...1/2 scoop per gallon. I've even added more salt since. I checked the salt content and it is still at 1.008. Is my cheap hydrometer broken? It's one of those instant ocean ones with the plastic lever.

Sigh.

If I was you I would get a refractometer, those swing arm hydrometers aren't very reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, have you ever had ammonia readings?

Who makes a good refractometer?

No ammonia readings yet. Shouldn't I be getting something though?

Dose pure ammonia to about 3ppm and test is 24 hours. That should tell you where to go from there.

Where do I get pure ammonia? My Fish store?

Hardware stores will carry it...but I prefer the simplicity of a single cocktail shrimp. As it decomps it provides a steady source of ammonia and then when you see a 0 you know you are ready.

Use the ammonia JUST as a test to see if it is cycled yet.

Add 3ppm & test in 24hrs.
If its gone your good to go.

If it is, add up to 2ppm every three days until you want to add fish, keep the bacteria alive.
(Major water change first).

You can get pure ammonia (non scented), in almost any cleaning supply / hardware store.

And? How long did you have it in there? It takes a couple of weeks to cycle a tank.

The first time I only left it in for three days. That was six weeks ago. I put a new piece in and it's been in there for about a week now. Shouldn't I be seeing some change in levels?

Your not even seeing nitrates? That leads me to suspect the tests.

I'm following the tests as per the instructions. Let me go try again right now.

Ok, I re-did the test, carefully reading the instructions. Here is what I got. Basically the same as before:

img_3119025_0_f071182622a5fe9e40913db690d4fb2d.jpg

Is it possible my test kit isn't working? Also, the Ammonia looks cloudy, as if there is some solid matter forming. I can take pics of the instructions too, maybe they are printed wrong?

The only way to tell is to add ammonia to 3ppm.

You may have cycled, but by not feeding bacteria, it may have died and need to start over.

Or

You maybe good to go.
I have never had nitrates show up with API.

The api nitrate test can be finicky, I'd try that a few times. It's got to be exactly what the instructions say down to the second with the shaking and such IME.

Should I see about getting a different nitrate test? Or just go with the Ammonia?

Just go with ammonia first.
You need to establish where the water is at with that.

If... In 24 hrs. It disappears.
Your tank is cycled, meaning it can consume up to that % of ammonia per day.

Then, after that. Get yourself some decent test kits.

Back
Top Bottom