I don't use a heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's weird. I have a CUSA Orbit 4x65W PC fixture. With my small heater on (this heater was meant for a 29G but is being used in my 55G) the temperature is between 80 - 84F. The weird thing is, that heater still turns on even though the water is reaching 84F.

So I turned off the heater (for two weeks now) and the water stays between 78 - 80F. My house temperature is 73F. So this is weird. I haven't used my heater since and my temperature is pretty stable. Really weird. At night, it is 78F. Throughout the day it is between 80 - 81F.

I guess for now I don't use a heater. Good stuff.

I have found no heater that keeps a temp worth a flip. Most will even say +/- 2 degress which is about all the swing a tank can afford. I have noticed that a heater not properly affixed via the included (Cheap) suction cups will cause temps to flux as well. Most are based on good ole mercury and being a liquid is subject to the angle of the heater. I have one in my 75 set at about 72 degress. It keeps the tank a nice 78 - 79 over night. Great stuff, huh?

Peace.

Oddly enough in my tank I never really needed a heater either. Whenever I used it, it just made my water extremely hot and I pretty much needed to turn it off.

I am in the same situation, atleast for my ten gallons. I don't need a heater on my 30gallon because of the ridiculous lights, and the 75 i beleive needs the heater. My temps stay just fine right now but i'm worried about the winter, i've never had fish tanks through the winter so this should be interesting.

In small tanks its possible the pumps and lights create enough heat for the tank. In larger systems you will ned a heater even in the summer :(
when I fire up my rio 1800 in my new salt water can it brings the temp up in the can.

your heater should come on when the waters cold.. If it does not then it DIED and its time to get a new one... Which I just had to do... Lost 2 heaters this month.. One would not shut off the other would not turn on.. this is another post :( :(

I have been using tap water to mix my saltwater. I had my tap water tested and it is fine. I add the dechlorinator in the water before the salt if that matters. My question is, I don't have an extra heater to heat the water before putting it into the tank. I do let it sit overnight before adding to the tank. How bad is this on the fish (not heating the water). I have a friend who does not heat her water either and was just wondering?

If the new water is not close to the temperature of the existing tank water then this could be quite stressful when it is added to the tank. 1) anything in the path of the sudden rush of cooler water may be stressed. 2) if the tank temperature itself is reduced quickly it may stress everybody. If the difference is nominal (1 degree or less) then I wouldn't be too overly concerned.

heaters are cheap you really need to get a heater. when I had Fresh water tanks and was new I used cold water for the water changes and my fish ended up getting Ich.

ok, I will get one picked up. Do you think until then it would work better if I used warm (not hot) tap water when making my water so it is not so cold.

I had a heater nightmare during a recent surge in hot weather here. My temperature inside the house soared and I wasn't watching the thermometer in the tank. I reached in to adjust a rock and was amazed when I noticed how hot the tank was - almost 95F! Oddly enough nothing died, and I was in a bit of a panic to lower the temperature as quickly as I could. I didn't have a clue how much you could lower the temperature without stressing the fish, so it's taken me a few days to get it down to 80F. I had to add a block of ice to lower the temperature down 2F at a time (I didn't feel comfortable lowering it more than that) and the fish were huddling up to the iceberg as it thawed out. They don't even get that close together at feeding time...it was a really bad sign that I was neglecting my tank and I felt like a complete tool for not considering my fish during the heat wave. I had to turn my heater right down and turn off my MH lights for two days to get the temperature under control. Time to invest in a chiller.

Lesson learned folks - heat wave + heater + metal halides = hot tub. Thank god everyone was ok!

ok, I will get one picked up. Do you think until then it would work better if I used warm (not hot) tap water when making my water so it is not so cold.

I mix mine in a big bucket, others use a plastic trashcan. I start by getting the temp of my tap water close to what I want, drop in my heater and PH, and start mixing my water. I only mix it for about 24 hours, some suggest 24-36 for good areation. I make sure the temp is close to my tank's temp and then do my PWC.

By you saying get your tap water close to what you want then you add the heater, are you using warm tap water to mix your salt in?

By you saying get your tap water close to what you want then you add the heater, are you using warm tap water to mix your salt in?

Yep, add the heater and let it sit before plugging in (so the heater "acclimates" to the temp in the bucket) about 15 mins or so, otherwise it might crack, from the quick change in temp. I also warm up the tap, even though I mix for 24hours, so the salt will dissolve a little faster. Otherwise I have to wait for the water to heat up and will get inaccurate salinity readings until the water becomes the correct temp.

Back
Top Bottom