Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

i feel like a loser

After reading many post on this site I feel I have done everything wrong. I now wait to see if my tank with fish will make it.
Its been a week and I have live sand and rock. I think it cycled already but might be wrong. All my levels are good and so I added a damsal and scooter. Then a few days later I added 2 clowns. Now I'm scared a can loose them all. Any advice?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenikat
After reading many post on this site I feel I have done everything wrong. I now wait to see if my tank with fish will make it.
Its been a week and I have live sand and rock. I think it cycled already but might be wrong. All my levels are good and so I added a damsal and scooter. Then a few days later I added 2 clowns. Now I'm scared a can loose them all. Any advice?
Hi it's easy to get excited and get them fish but all you can do now is keep a close eye on those parameters what kind of filtration are you running

Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As the previous poster said, test ammo, nitrite, nitrate every day. If ammo or nitrites go above 0.25, do a PWC to get it down below that level. This will be a lot of work and might require PWCs every day, but it'll keep your fish alive. Good luck!!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 25 gallon eclipse tank. I have a skimmer on the way. For now I'm finding my filters and changing them every few days. I have been doing tropical tanks for 15 years and thought I was ready.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have a 25 gallon eclipse tank. I have a skimmer on the way. For now I'm finding my filters and changing them every few days. I have been doing tropical tanks for 15 years and thought I was ready.
You can research all you want but experience is best. It will all come together and be worth it. There are many people on here with tons of knowledge so use it to your advantage. I run a skimmer a canister filter and live rock and tank is in amazing shape so you will be fine.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Never change a filter pad. Never! Haha it may look super gross, but its full of beneficial bacteria and without that bacteria your tank will have to re-cycle. Take my word for it and dont change the pads. (i hope thats what you were talking about) lol
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are eclipse carbon filters. I'm sure I need to change them so it can filter all the bad stuff. The Bio wheel I won't change.
So if I do daily water changes I may be OK?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Listen to jack (nunu). Don't change them, just rinse the gunk off of them in old tank water. That way the bacteria will stay alive and you can get the gunk off. But, really, your damsel and clowns could be ok. But your scooter is definitely a goner if you don't return him. They eat 1000s of Copepods a day and a 1 week old tank doesn't have very many at all. Some people struggle to keep them in established 125s. Return him and keep your current stock, do pwcs and you should be fine. I wouldn't add any more fish though, that's pretty stocked. GL!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
They are eclipse carbon filters. I'm sure I need to change them so it can filter all the bad stuff. The Bio wheel I won't change.
So if I do daily water changes I may be OK?
Or you dont have to listen... Your call, its not my tank.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

See if you can get your hands in some mysis shrimp as your blenny was probably trained in the lfs to eat them. If so, your blenny should be ok as well.

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com