I got a bigger tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a deal today at work on a 50 gallon tank only got $25. Now I just gotta build a stand for it and all that. Its gonna br a down the road project. My 35 gallon is finally established too.LOL. I'm wanting to give my 35 to my gf for her African clawed frog FW. And I want to move my stuff to the 50 gallon. Can I use the same sand plus some new? Also I have an aquac remora HOB Skimmer. Will this be good enough for the 50 gallon? Any input I'd appreciated. Here's pics of when I dug it out of the shed and once I cleaned it up.

ForumRunner_20120827_184424.jpg

ForumRunner_20120827_184633.jpg

It says the aquac remora is rated up to 75 gallon so I guess it will be fine. I've also got a 10 gallon laying around I wad wondering if it would be wise to make a sump. It seems like a big head ache cause I don't want any flooding. I've been seeing lots if mixed reviews on having a sump with a fuge which was kinda my main reason. So I dunno. I've already got the HOB Skimmer so why should I even do a sump? I also have a small homemade half gallon fuge with chaeto and copepods. Not really sure how much it even helps but I thought it was good. Any ideas? Sump or no sump? Fuge or no fuge? Besides powerheads, heater, Skimmer, and LR is there anything else I should consider on the 50 gallon?

Nice man. That is how it went for me too. I went from a 36 to a 55 quite quickly, about 4 months in. Infact, that tank looks exactly like mine! You got a much better deal on it, but with what looks like a classic dodge behind the tank, I'd expect no less.

In terms of switching things over, since the other tank is still pretty new you could easily just switch everything over. You'll end up needing some more sand and rock of course, but that'll come with time. Just make sure not to add additional livestock til then (don't remember if you were close to stocking or not, just playing it safe).

Something else that you might want to look into, which I just did to my tank and it is amazing. Painting the back black. Just made things look amazing. It is real easy to do it before you put water in the tank. Anyway, keep us posted.

It says the aquac remora is rated up to 75 gallon so I guess it will be fine. I've also got a 10 gallon laying around I wad wondering if it would be wise to make a sump. It seems like a big head ache cause I don't want any flooding. I've been seeing lots if mixed reviews on having a sump with a fuge which was kinda my main reason. So I dunno. I've already got the HOB Skimmer so why should I even do a sump? I also have a small homemade half gallon fuge with chaeto and copepods. Not really sure how much it even helps but I thought it was good. Any ideas? Sump or no sump? Fuge or no fuge? Besides powerheads, heater, Skimmer, and LR is there anything else I should consider on the 50 gallon?

Well, that is all pretty solid. I would turn the 10 into a sump/fuge. I made my own out of a 20 long. It is simple to do.Just some silicon and getting some glass cut at Lowes. Making my sump cost me 58 bucks. Then tack on the 8 dollar clip on work light and bulb I had laying around, great investment!

I have the aqua c remora on my 55 and it's great!! My water params are good, water is very clear.

Not a Dodge man that's my 79 Firebird.LOL. I painted my other tank background black plan on doing it with this one as well. Ill keep ya posted on my next action

Another thing that kinda sucks is I just bought my 36" double t5 ho light for my 35 gallon. Don't think it's gonna work too hot on my 50. I'm gonna need some money for this project. Ugghhh. What to do what to do...

How do you think the 48" tank would do with a 36" light? I guess a foot of it would be dark. Would this be a bad thing? I picked up some krylon fusion gloss black today. Thinking of changing the wood grain trim to black. Ill probably start a new thread before too long. My 50 gallon build. It may even be a 55. I'm gonna double check. Any help with the light situation is very much appreciated!

It would be fine but obviously the 6" on each side would he pretty dark. The only thing I am thinking about though is how much of a height difference is there between the two tanks cause every inch of penetration needed will mean you need stronger lighting to reach the floor. Honestly though if I were you I would look into 2 dimmable taotronics so you could keep higher light requirement corals, you'll get a shimmer effect, and you'll have a dual bulb to use on a different tank ;)

Yea those would be nice but I'm flat broke. =( Im pretty sure both tanks are the same depth. Also is the wattage per gallon ratio the same with leds? They are so low wattage I don't know. And another question (ill have plenty.lol) will a 48" t5 light strip kind of like a shop light from Lowes be sufficient for corals? Or should it be t5 ho? I don't plan on keeping any acros or anything.

Back
Top Bottom