I got an Ammonia Spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright guys I have no clue Why I am getting Ammonia in my tank. I notice my Kole Tang hiding and breathing rather rapidly.... So I decided to check out my Water parameters and sure enough my Ammonia was at 0.25PPM? I am thinking when I added my two new Koralia #3 and #2 cause the Ammonia to stir up in my tank? My other readings are normal. I have been feeding Rod's Food. but i don't know if I been giving a little to much Lately I have been doing once a day feedings I will do a water change tomorrow. Hopefully by the morning everything should be ok. I turn of the power heads off and just turn on my Fluval back on for now till I figure this out in the morning....
:???:

I don't think it was the powerheads. They'd have to be kicking up a sand storm to cause any nasties to be released.

You mentioned turning the Fluval back on... was the cannister turned off but still connected to the tank? Do you have sponges or anything in there? With no flow going through it, maybe (*maybe*) whatever bacteria was in there died off and caused the spike? I've read that if the bacteria in a tank ever die off, that in itself is enough to cause an ammonia spike and another cycle. Think it was Fenner that wrote that the bioload of bacteria in a tank is often more than the fish itself. Go figure.

Just throwing out ideas...

Now that you mention it I did have my Fluval still connected to my system I was going to take it down tomorrow and there are sponges growing on the LR rubble that's in the canister.... and I did have a small sand storm that pushed some of the sand aside in one spot only but there wasn't anything huge. I am thinking it is the Fluval.

I few hours at least 6 hrs or so.... I put the pumps in around 4:30PM or 5:00PM CST and I did not start noticing till around 12:00 Midnight.... But I remove the Canister as soon as possible once Kurt said it could have been the Fluval. Now as the look of things my Tang is breathing normal again, but a water change is on it's way. I think my LR took care of the Ammonia I think.

How much Rods food are you feeding? That stuff goes a long way. I only use a piece about the size of a dime when I feed it.

Could be. I have forgotten as well on a few occasions and left mine off over night (probably 12+ hours) and just turned it back on with no noticeable issues. I don't remember what kind of CUC you have but you're sure you didn't 'lose' anyone?

How much Rods food are you feeding? That stuff goes a long way. I only use a piece about the size of a dime when I feed it.

Yeah I think it can be Rod's Food. Lately I have been feeding a little bit more.... But I think I will go back to every other day til I get it under control again.

Could be. I have forgotten as well on a few occasions and left mine off over night (probably 12+ hours) and just turned it back on with no noticeable issues. I don't remember what kind of CUC you have but you're sure you didn't 'lose' anyone?

Not that i know of I just pick up some new buddy this past Thursday and they all look fine. Snails as well...

Just seems like a very high ammonia concentration in 55 gallons of water to come from a slight increase in feeding.

Yeah I think I will chill out for awhile with the Everyday feedings... Cause with Rod's Food it's not cubes that I have before so it was just almost the right amount every time with that i was giving them half only. With Rods food it comes with that Flat Packaging so it kind of hard to tell how much for your putting in there.....

Any Suggestion how I should use the Rod's Food? Should I find a small cube tray?

I make my own and pack it flat. After it freezes I just bust it up and package it in smaller bags (vacuum seal most of it). I add pieces to a small cup with tank water to thaw and just eyeball what I think looks right.

I feed light because I'm a sucker for beggars so I often end up dropping treats if I'm working around the tank. For my FW I buy it flat and do the same thing, supplemented with flake and pellet (or view versa) just cause it's easier

Tank,

Have you tested your water any more? How long did this spike last? What was the nitrite level?

It seems surprising that a filter that was shut off for only a few hours would cause this kind of ammonia level in a tank that size. Has anything else been added or changed with the tank? Any maintenance done? Any chemicals or meds added to the tank?

I never add any chemicals or meds, I have not tested yet but i just Check my PH level and it was extremely low... 7.6PH I am doing a Water change as we speak Hopefully everything will get back to normal. I just put in my PH monitor and notice that it was low too.

I few hours at least 6 hrs or so.... I put the pumps in around 4:30PM or 5:00PM CST and I did not start noticing till around 12:00 Midnight.... ...

Even though I was the one to point my finger at the Fluval, I'm also finding it hard to think it was the culprit if it was only off that long.

Just keep an eye on it.

Yeah I figured I was over feeding there have been a few day where a Splurged becasue of my New Tang I spoil them.... But I was being negligent and making sure I was over feeding I feel so Bad right now..... I did a water change and my Ammonia is back down 2 0.0PPM everything else is ok execpt my PH level went back down to 7.8 PH.... I am working on that issue to get it back between 8.2 and 8.4....

Back
Top Bottom