Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pufferowners, I just responded to another post of yours where you were concerned about high Nitrite levels. Are those issues coming from the 10G tank you have the puffer in right now? If so, my suggestion to you would be to take that puffer back to the LFS for now. Since it appears that you do not even have your main tank set up yet, it is going to be a good 6-8 weeks before you will be ready to add fish to your tank. Also, I feel that a 55G tank is too small for a porc puffer.

One thing that is crucial in this hobby is to be patient. No good things happen when you rush through the process. See if you can get your LFS to hold your puffer at the store for you until your tank is cycled. However, I would really reconsider your stocking list because that fish needs a 100G tank or more.

Hope that helps.

tripper

Old 01-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Everyday it gets to be more and more and more.... I am going to put him in the 55 gallon if he lives he lives if not I will restock. The girl at the LFS has a PPP and she has had it in the same tank I have with all the same stuff for over 6 months and its fine....

Old 01-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't claim to know the right size for that fish but if 55 is too small then all i have to say is "poor fish"
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Well diffrent people and sites say diffrent things most people say 90 gallon. Some sites and others say 55 is fine for him. So I guess its just a matter of who you ask or what info you read.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your very right but imo i would be airing on the side of caution especially with that big of a gap in tank size. I think what you said
Quote:
most people say 90 gallon
is what i would go by but again it is each persons choice and in the end you will go with what you feel is right. I just don't want you to go and "hope" that it will fit in there to find out that the tank was a bit to small and then you end up with a bad experience. Regardless i hope you have luck with what ever you decided.
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
Needs to be chunks. it can be "rubble" (golf ball sized or smaller) but aragonite sand doesn't count to the LR total.

You really should use RO/DI water, not tap water. While you can start with treated tap water, the water for topoffs must be very clean. This is because the only thing that evaporates is pure water, so if you replace it with anything but pure water, junk will build up over time

Did you mean can or cant be golfball size or smaller. I am talking about the stuff at the bottom of this page....

http://www.intmarinefish.com/liverock.html
Old 01-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well today for my substrate I got Natures Ocean Bio-Active Live Aragonite it has bacteria already in it. Then I got a 300watt heater, the salt mix, a Biowheel, and a digital thermomoter. Oh and I found a GREAT LFS they actually know what they are talking about its called reef connections. They are really cool there and pretty cheap. They had a REALLY nice 125 gallon tank for like $369. Then the stand for it was about 350 and extremely nice. Oh and I also got a liquid test kit. So now all I got to get is LR and the skimmer. I also found out some bad news according to the calculations of the measurements of the tank its a 50 gallon not 55. I think someone may have made it. Not sure though. Its made out of real glass and they did a good job.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com