Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I got my 55 gallon tank.... now what? lol.

Ok I got a 55 gallon tank from a friend I am putting a porquipine puffer in it. What all do I need to get to make it a "good tank" Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are a huge help. I know about the live rock, substrate, and salt. what else?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
first, you should know that no fish should go in it for at least a few weeks after the tank is filled.

you'll need a lot of equipment, such as a heater, refractometer, water test kits, powerheads (you should have between 550 and 1200 GPH flow in your tank), and a good skimmer. If you're not doing a sump, an aquaC remora would work with the mj1200 pump.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I know about the heater, I need help on picking out the filter, skimmer, and how much LR to use, What sort of test kit would be the best? I just want to have a healthy tank. I have my puffer in a 10 gallon now. He seems to be doing ok he is eating good and everything. I want to get the big one ready asap. Also whats a refractometer and a power head?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Well, a refractometer measures the sq, or salinity, of your tank..
The water to salt raito so to speak.
The oppinion varies on what it should be, but it's avg is about 1.024 or thereabouts.

A power head is basically an in tank water mover..a pump, rated at so many gallons per hour..

drfostersmith.com is a good source of info on equipments, and has articles with good explanations on what the various devices do...spend a few hours there 'browsing' and clicking on the articles links...worth the time....
Old 01-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a hydrometer wich does the same thing. Thanks for the info. I am really not good at the browsing thing. Thats why I asked you guys. What about a biowheel? Would that be a good choice for a filter? How about heaters should I get one rated for 60 gallons or 55 or should I get 2 30 gallon ones, one on each side? Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

As far as LR is concerned you should go with a min of 55 lbs (1lb/gal) and if money is not to much of a concern maybe aim for 1.5- 2 lbs/gal. This will add more biological filtration which is a good thing. I wont say you don't need your bio wheels and such after but the more LR the less you have to rely on your mechanical filtration to do all the filtration. HTH
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

biowheel is not advised for SW. It works OK, but not as good as LR. as canyon said, 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon (plus 10 to 20x flow) is all you need for filtration, provided you ahve a good skimmer. I'd say spend your money on rock and skimmer. Then save up for nice lights if you ever want corals.

two smaller heaters is good in case one breaks so that you're not killing fish.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this a good idea for a heater? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113767
Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and on the live rock thing- if I use live rock that is crushed for the substrate does that count towards the total pounds I need? Or does it all have to be in big chunks? AND the LFS gave me..... Kordon- Trans Clear Fresh Water Clarifier for Aquariums and Ponds. They told me that it would be good to use in the SW tank because we have REALLY hard water. But it says freshwater? Are they wrong, or can I use it?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Needs to be chunks. it can be "rubble" (golf ball sized or smaller) but aragonite sand doesn't count to the LR total.

You really should use RO/DI water, not tap water. While you can start with treated tap water, the water for topoffs must be very clean. This is because the only thing that evaporates is pure water, so if you replace it with anything but pure water, junk will build up over time

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com