Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
I got my tank

Well i finally broke down and got a tank, its not the 46 gallon bow front i orignally thought i would get, i decided to go with a 50 gallon Oceanic tank. I got my salt, 2 maxi jets, 2 150 watt heaters, 1 50 watt heater for quarantine, hydrometer, seachem test kit in the mail, 30lb base rock from hirocks.com in the mail, and will order 25 lb of keys rock from liverocks.com next week. I finally decided to skip the wait to see if southdown comes in so i went to my LFS to shell out 100 bucks on caribsea sand, and guess what, THEIR OUT , NOOOOOOO. They had like 50 bags on sunday. Oh well, gonna have to try more stores tommarow. Then all i need is around 50 gallons of water from wallmart (the one with the purple cap), and gonna order my BAK PAK 2 this week. I think thats it, do i need anything else. Anyway, without my babbling on anymore, here it is, i know it has nothing in it yet, but what do you guys think?

- Jeff
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AaOGjdi4Ztq

Old 03-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good so far!

What about lights?

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

pic with light

It came with a Florecent light, people on this forum told me that this will be good enough since i am doing FOWLR. below is a link to a pic with the light on. Also, what is the difference between using RO water and Tap water with conditioner?

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...108AaOGjdi4Ztq
Old 03-12-2005, 02:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO is highly filtered water. An RO filter system has carbon filters which remove chlorine and particles. The RO membrane removes particles down to the size of bacteria and viruses. If you can find RO/DI water thats even better because the DI filter removes ions like phosphate. The conditioner only converts the chlorine into a less toxic form. The real question is: how good is your water?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want to upgrade your lights to PC (you won't be able to resist coral for long, trust me ) using your existing hood, check out ahsupply.com for (relatively) inexpensive retrofit kits. I'm using them on all three of my tanks.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what bulbs came with the strip light.... I put 2 URI bulbs in my strip light for my fowlr and it brings out the colors of the fish and LR better then standard bulbs. Most Strip light come with lighting for Fresh water tanks.
URI 1- super actinic and 1- white ....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i will not be keeping coral at first, when my wallet recovers a little and my tank becomes more stable i am sure i wouldnt be able to resist getting some coral. But to start with would a standard flourecent light work?

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com