Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Hhhhmmmm . . . ok kingman, how about you tell us a little bit more about your set-up. Not really enough information here to be able to help out.

You said you had a 10gal tank that had cycled for 1 1/2 months, but you just added new LR. You have not fish, nor do you have corals. What type of light system are you running on the tank?

LR and corals are not the same thing, but they are fully compatible. However, without the proper lights, the coral will not survive, nor will the color stay on the LR. Without proper lighting the "life" on your LR will begin to die off and in breaking down it will have an impact on your bioload - hence your tank will most likely cycle again, and no three days time is not likely to be enough. As for changing the water, you need to invest in some test kits so you can test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels at a minimum. Without the kits you will have no way of knowing when levels of ammonia or nitrate are getting too high, nor will you be able to plot the cycle.

FYI without a food source those asteria starfish will turn and begin eating the coralline algae and the coral and whatever else they can find to consume. That number is way too high for a 10gal tank IMO.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I WAS using a 75watt bulb and a lamp, not really for lighting but mainly for heat. But now I got a 15watt bulb in the same lamp and the bulb is fine and all but not very bright, is that enough for now? b/c i will be getting a light strip to go over the back half of my tank and if i can get one that holds 2 light bulbs i would like to have one of them be blue. but for now just the 15watt.

About the astrea.... I'm expecting my hermits to eat quite a number of them between meal times. And as far as a food source, I keep my blinds open during the day and the sunlight stimulates growth of the algae in my tank.

(Don't be afraid to correct me when I'm wrong!! I'm just relaying the things I've been told and researched) -thanks!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just thought you said it was only cycling 3 days. If it`s already cycled then you should be good to go. Hitchikers can come on in by corals or LR. They already gave you the link that is a pretty good identifier. Good luck on the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks I'll need it, the guy at the LFS told me I dont have to worry as much about the water just getting it tested every 1-2 months he said would be ok unless visual concerns pop up, just because all I have are hermits and no fish or coral, but now like i said I have that small piece of coral, I just wanna see if it lives, its very small less than half the size of your pinky... it has some kind of thin moss growing on it, is that good or bad? and what do I need to do to ensure its survival, if in fact, it IS still alive?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
Well I WAS using a 75watt bulb and a lamp, not really for lighting but mainly for heat. But now I got a 15watt bulb in the same lamp and the bulb is fine and all but not very bright, is that enough for now? b/c i will be getting a light strip to go over the back half of my tank and if i can get one that holds 2 light bulbs i would like to have one of them be blue. but for now just the 15watt.

About the astrea.... I'm expecting my hermits to eat quite a number of them between meal times. And as far as a food source, I keep my blinds open during the day and the sunlight stimulates growth of the algae in my tank.

(Don't be afraid to correct me when I'm wrong!! I'm just relaying the things I've been told and researched) -thanks!
Adequate lighting or not depends on what your goal for the tank is - if its fish only with LR, you should be fine. If its a reef system, its not enough light.

Hermits will not eat asteria stars. As for the algae growth with the blinds, generally the goal in a saltwater tank is to minimize nuscience algae growth as much as possible - but to each their own.

As Mike said, good luck on the tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Wy! What specific goals exist for a tank? gimme a few examples please??

And no I'm not trying for a reef system right now, especially in a tank that small, I'm waiting til I get my own place before I upgrade but I will keep that tank prolly for breeding or quarintine. I've been trying to get all the info I can on SW tanks, but I'm finding it difficult since I dont know alot of websites, and when I google or search I NEVER get exactly what I'm asking for/about.

Will Fish-Eater Hermits eat snails?

Also, how do I tell if any of my astrea's are dead? and if they are is it ok to leave them in the tank?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Wy! What specific goals exist for a tank? gimme a few examples please??

And no I'm not trying for a reef system right now, especially in a tank that small, I'm waiting til I get my own place before I upgrade but I will keep that tank prolly for breeding or quarintine. I've been trying to get all the info I can on SW tanks, but I'm finding it difficult since I dont know alot of websites, and when I google or search I NEVER get exactly what I'm asking for/about.

Will Fish-Eater Hermits eat snails?

Also, how do I tell if any of my astrea's are dead? and if they are is it ok to leave them in the tank?
kingman, when I mentioned goals for the tank, I meant whether you planned to go with a nanoreef or fish only with LR or what your overall intentions for the tank were. You pretty much clarified that with this last post.

As far as finding good info, this link to the articles here on A.A. will take you to tons of good information on setting up, cycling and properly stocking your saltwater tank.

Articles

If you have specific questions beyond that, be sure and ask, there are lots of very knowledgable people here at A.A.

I'm afraid that I know nothing about fish-eater hermits; the only ones I'm familar with are the red-legs, blue-legs, scarlet, and the white.

As far as the asteria stars, I personally would remove them whenever you see them, dead or not (you will never get everyone and they reproduce like rabbits). As far as telling if they are dead, I think once they die they disintigrate fairly rapidly, but if you are seeing dead creatures in your tank, always remove them as they add to the bioload of the tank as they decompose.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh ok cool, Well idk if they are dead but i was just checking since there are a few dozen who are choosing to stay on the sand-bed...

and as far as removing them goes, idk if i wanna do that... is it really that bad to have so many? what else do they do besides eat algae off the glass?? b/c thats what i got so many for, until I get better lighting and heating for the tank. But when I DO start removing them, what should I do with them? I don't wanna kill them or anything like that. and I dont know any other ppl in my area with SW fish tanks... is there somewhere I can go to like a website to find ppl in my area?

also, where can I find ppl who know a lot about hermit crabs (esp. of the variety that i have) everyone I ask seems to know nothing of the kind I'm talking about

-Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Oh ok cool, Well idk if they are dead but i was just checking since there are a few dozen who are choosing to stay on the sand-bed...

and as far as removing them goes, idk if i wanna do that... is it really that bad to have so many? what else do they do besides eat algae off the glass?? b/c thats what i got so many for, until I get better lighting and heating for the tank. But when I DO start removing them, what should I do with them? I don't wanna kill them or anything like that. and I dont know any other ppl in my area with SW fish tanks... is there somewhere I can go to like a website to find ppl in my area?

also, where can I find ppl who know a lot about hermit crabs (esp. of the variety that i have) everyone I ask seems to know nothing of the kind I'm talking about

-Thanks for all the advice! Keep it coming!
If you got them for algae control and you aren't really adding anything else to the tank right now, you can certainly leave them be. But its generally safest to not include them in a reef tank (lots of debate about them consuming various types corals) - in a fish only I don't think I would worry about them too much. Most likely they will consume their food source and begin to die off on their own.

You might want to simply post up a picture of your hermit crab in the ID section of this forum and ask to see if anybody can ID it for you and tell you anything about it. Personally I've never heard of a fish-killer hermit.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wy-- It's dubbed "fish killer" but one name I found for it is "Stripped legged hermit crab" and apparently there are lots of names for them, EVEN the scientific names are different!!! all for one species of hermit crab... sheesh, but i still pose the question because, when I go to look these up, it's not showing a picture of the type of hermit crab that I have... so your right, apparently I suck at online research and I need to post pics... thanks for the advice!!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com