Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Post I got new stuff!!!

So, I went to the LFS and here is what I got for my tank (and hermies)
I will be putting up before and after pics when I get the after pics and the cycling is done which I'm just waiting 3 days for b/c tomorrow (day 3) I'm changing water and putting the Hermits back in... I just wanted to give all the snails and Starfish time to get to safety

But until the pics, here's what I got!
I got another pound of live rock that is two separate peices and they look different from each other.. One is like velvet red and purple and has splotches of an almost neon green... the other looks like brown and white castle spires and there are some browninsh almost see through things sticking out of it and IDK what they are but they are alive and cool... then I got (IDR if its nefarious or nessarius<< maybe that one) anyway I got a snail that is supposed to live in the sand bed and eat all the waste so its cool now for my 3-4 inch sand bed lol and he gave me a free snail too just some random one that was in the tank he took it out of...

Then on top of that he gave me about 1-200 astrea starfish and a couple non-astrea IDK what they are but they are small right now and white, I think they will get big but IDk, and a couple of small blask starfish came out of the LR as well... plus the guy gave me a free .5 lb of LR too!!! But I'm not so sure its LR b/c it looks like coral.. its all kinds of purple and red and green and white and it has a flat bottom almost like a foundation... IDK but its cool.

So I got home from the LFS and put it all in and arranged it like I want it and topped it off with Filtered Tap, which btw, I got tested and my tank water too, for free! and the salinity is a little high he said and the FT water is just a bit dirty but not enough to damage my tank or hurt my live stuff for now at least til I start doing fish or reef... so all is good!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing, the store grows coral and there was some the guy said was dead and knocked it off the plug he had it growing on, IDK but to me it looked alive so idk if he did that b/c he knew I would pick it up or if it really was dead, but the guy was super hooking me up and so he may have done that on purpose I'm guessing.

Thanks for any or all advice or suggestions or opinions or comments!!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You`ll need to cycle a whole lot more than three days. We have an excellent article about cycling in our Sw articles section. Please read it as it will help you to understand what`s going on during the cycle. You might want to go through all our SW articles for some Sw research.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Even if the tank was originally cycled, the addition of new live rock will most likely prompt a new mini cycle, as stuff dies off on the new rock. How big is your tank? 200 asteria starfish is a very large population.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes the tank is origionally cycled I've had it now for about 1 1/2 months, and idk how many astrea truly but there has to be at least 75-100 (more literally) but it looks like a lot more than that but its prolly b/c I have a 10g tank that has all I posted above plus another .6 lb of LR and a descent size piece of reg. rock for my hermits to get out of the water on. I have 3 Hermit crabs... the only coral I have is the piece(sp) I mentioned above and it's verrrry small prolly a size a little less than half of the tip of your pinky.

Other than that it's all I have... Oh btw, there are some brownish see-throughish little things coming out of one of my LR and they look like thin little tubes. anyone know what these are?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh yeah, the guy at the LFS told me to wait about 3 days before doing a water change and then everything else should be ok by then. Is that right? b/c I dont have any fish, the only things living in my tank I've already mentioned, so knowing that, is it ok?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

Here is a good link to identify hitchers.... LR hitchers
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey thanks spoon yeah I think I know what they are now... but that was for corals or reefs... I dont have that, just LR, or is that the same thing?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Fish R friends, not food!

That is just a basic list of things that tend to hitch a ride on live rock. Not particular to coral or reefs...
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So LR and Coral are not the same thing? Not related in any way? Oh! and are LR and Coral compatible? <<Prolly a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Melosu58-- Hey thanks Mel for the mention of the articles, but I couldn't find anything there relating to what I have or the type of tank I have, but it was interesting though!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com