Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Rj_22
I got questions that need answers

I am starting my 4 saltwater tank today,It is a 45 gallon tank.I was able to get some southdown sand yesterday,and I know that you are supposed to have worms and little bugs to help with the breakdown of food.How do I get those?What should I add to the sand.When I bought the tank, it came with a tetratec pf300 with carbon inserts.Should I use this?OR should I just take the carbon out? I am going to have good water movement,I have a Maxi Jet 9000 powerhead. I am going to have 100 pounds of sand,and about 50 to 60 pounds of live rock. So let me know

Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I know that you are supposed to have worms and little bugs to help with the breakdown of food.How do I get those?
Some will migrate from the rock to the sandbed. You should probably also look into seeding the sand with a few cus of sand from a tank with an established sand bed, if that isn't a possibility look into a detrivore kit from www.inlandaquatics.com.

Quote:
When I bought the tank, it came with a tetratec pf300 with carbon inserts.Should I use this?
Not real sure what it is, if it is a airpump type filter...no don't use it. If it is a canisterfilter, you can remove the media and use it for circulation.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:15 PM   #3

Do I have enough water movement?The filter is not a air filter,just a regular hang-on filter with carbon inserts.So what you are saying is that I need no mechanical filtration,just the live rock and the sand when it is fully cycled?
Old 03-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do I have enough water movement?
IMO, no, not for a reef. I would add a couple more powerheads or a closed loop.

Quote:
The filter is not a air filter,just a regular hang-on filter with carbon inserts
By all means use it without the inserts. Same as the canister idea, more waterflow and a place to add some chemical filtration if the need arises.

Quote:
So what you are saying is that I need no mechanical filtration,just the live rock and the sand when it is fully cycled?
Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying. A skimmer will offer plenty of mechanical filtration, but to my knowledge, even those that go "skimmerless" do not use mechanical filtration.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #5

I don't think that I am going to use a skimmer at this point.(not in my budget)Do you think that I have enought live rock and sand? I am not going to have corals,just a FOWLR tank.Anything else that I might need?
Old 03-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I would shoot for 90 lbs of live rock. The sand sounds good. If you are not going to use a skimmer I recommend doing a 10% weekly water change. Also, always to remember to top off you evaportated water with fresh water as salt does not evaporate out of water. Maybe in the future you could add a 8 or 9 watt uv sterilizer, they are great for disease protection in a FOWLR tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com