I got the tank, now I have more questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
On a previous post, I said that I was considering purchasing a 90 gallon saltwater tank for $500. I'll give you the specifics of the tank as well as the condition it was originally in. Then I have a few questions about upgrading.

The tank came with about 200 lbs of Fiji Live Rock. The lighting is 260 watt, half 10,000K/actinic power compact lights (the bulbs are brand new). The sump is an All-Glass Mega Flow powered by a 2630 L per hour pump. There is another pump with the same flow rate within the tank.

The condition that the tank was originally kept in, wasn't desirable. The LR looked almost dead. I'm sure that it had the beneficial bacteria, but it was devoid of coralline algae and other lifeforms. He said that over the past year that he has owned the tank, he has killed roughly 20 fish. The one fish that he had in the tank didn't make the trip. When he brought over the tank, he had left the LR in containers filled with water in his truck bed for over an hour. The water must have been around 100 degrees by the time it got to my house. He told me to just put the extra water that was in the containers into the tank when I got it set up. I tested the water and the salinity was about 1.032, so I just tossed it instead.

I got the tank set up two days ago. I'm finally starting to see some lifeforms coming out of the LR. I found this strange though, because I saw absolutely none when I looked over the tank when it was at his house. Even though he gave me 200 lbs of LR, I only used about 150 lbs because I wanted a more open appearance. Since a lot of life probably died on the rocks during transition, the tank will probably go through a mini-cycle, so I'll wait on purchasing fish.

Ok, here are my questions:

1. I have a single Aptasia, how do I kill it before it takes over my tank?
  2. I want to eventually get corals, can I suppliment the PC lighting with T-5's, or should I just get all T-5's? Remember, I want to eventually get corals.
  3. Besides hiding the equipment, do you put anything into the sump to aid in filtration?
  4. I want to seed my LR, is Garf Grunge worth the cost?
  5. With 5260 L per hour circulating, will I need more pumps for circulation?
  6. The tank unfortunately didn't come with a skimmer, what would be a cheap skimmer that is effective? And no, that isn't intended to be an oxymoron.
I know that I"m probably missing some questions, but I'll just post again when they come to mind.

Definately expect and wait through the cycle before adding anything. I suspect it was the extremely high salinity.

There's several products that will kill aiptasia. Since you have nothing in the tank, use pure ammonia if you have any. That'll take care of the aiptasia, and will just help you along your mini-cycle too.

If you're going to upgrade your lighting for corals on a 90g tank, consider MH.

In my sump I have LR rubble, heaters, skimmer, pumps, carbon, and phosban, that's it. I intend to put in a filter sock too eventually.

I don't know what garf grunge is. When you say seed, are you talking about bacteria or coralline? Either way, I'd find a nice, pretty piece of rock at an LFS or a friend from a cycled tank with nice amounts of coralline and just add it into your tank to seed.

Overall for SPS corals you're going to want 25x to 35x turnover in your tank.

I'd highly recommend the Octopus needlewheel skimmers. They're on the lower end cost wise, but have great performance. I use the NW-150 on my 72g tank.

Id personally say just take the rock with aiptasia and put it in a second bin and kill it there incase it spreads. With the rock your not putting in your DT(Display tank) You can put them in the sump or break them with a hammer and replace the bioballs.

The tank unfortunately didn't come with a skimmer, what would be a cheap skimmer that is effective? And no, that isn't intended to be an oxymoron.

A Skimmer is not something you want to skimp on. Buy the best when it comes to that. I`ve heard rave reviews on the octopus brand.

A good cheap way to kill aiptasia:
NanoReefing.Com - Your ultimate guide to saltwater aquariums
Do may have to disagree and say the aiptasia may make it through an ammonia spike, I have tried many different experiments in trying to kill them, from a cycle, to no heat, no light, no food...no dice. Definitely get rid of it because the nastier your water parameters, the more they seem to thrive!!
Oh, by the way, I didn't try these experiments with any other livestock in the tank...just the aiptasia.

Ohhh, now that's one thing I didn't try!
Feels good doesn't it!!! LOL!

Last edited:
Is aiptasia such a bad thing to have? I dont really have a clue what it is though..

yes they are bad. It seems that every other nem is ver delicate but these little suckers are like cockroaches. They are difficult to kill and once you think you have got all of them, up pops another. They will sting your corals and fish and they multiply rapidly. I have one in my tank that my 4 pepperments keep eating the crown off of and it keeps comming back. They killed the other 6 I had but this one they seem to be cultivating. I didn't know pepperments were farmers.
:)

I was so excited when I first saw the anemone. For one, I was surprised that anything survived the transfer. Also, I was so excited that I had an anemone. Then I did my research and to my dismay, I found out it was an Aptasia. Since I don't have anything in the tank yet, I'll probably just take out that one rock to destroy it. I would try to spray it with ammonia right in the tank, but it's far back and not even a syringe would reach it.

As for MH lighting, I'll check prices because I'm somewhat restricted to the money I can allocate to this project. If I add two T5 bulbs, I'll have 4 watts/gallon. I might consider adding two more, which would put me at 5.28 w per gallon. Regardless, I'll be putting most corals close to the surface to make sure they get the proper lighting.

As for the skimmer, I decided that I won't go cheap. The Octopus seems like a reasonably priced skimmer and it has received good reviews for the most part.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Quick update on the aiptasia: I may have won a few battles, but I might lose the war. I mentioned earlier that I initially saw just one, today I found three babies. Plus, the original one almost doubled in size in just a few days. So I went to the LFS and got a bottle of Joe's Juice. When I killed the large one, it felt kinda good. Does that make me a bad person? Tonight, I'm going to take a flashlight and cover every possible square inch of the tank. Unfortunately, there might be some aiptsia still hiding in some holes of my Fiji LR. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

a good lamp is compact flourescant with metal halides and led's. led's for night time, compact flourescant for general lighting, and corals, and metal halides especially for the corals. get one lamp that has 3 in one, you will love it. look for one with a timer for all 3. that is a plus!

While I've been establishing my tank, I've been researching some acceptable corals for the various lighting I'm looking at. I'm going to keep the pc lights, but I know that I'll need to supplement the lights. My mind says MH so that I could get any type of coral, but my wallet says otherwise. I figure that I have a little bit of time, but I want to make my purchase before I get any corals.

Back
Top Bottom