Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, shucks...

I guess I stick with the Seaclone for the time being since I have it on the way. I can always sell it back on ebay I suppose.

I'll check with my LFS so see what two cups of their sand would cost. I guess I will start checking on sand prices as well...

Old 07-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Any skimmer is better than none at all. It's best to ask around and see what folks have had good luck with before you spend the money though. I bought a few things also that had good reviews and was disappointed with them. You can bet, if it can be used on a SW tank, someone here has tried it. I expect that you'll be able to use the SeaClone as long as you keep the bio load reasonable and don't feed too much. It will help with water quality. One thing you might want to do is build a surface skimmer for it as most of the DOC's will be on the surface. I have been intending to do that with mine and haven't gotten around to it yet. I believe that would net a considerable increase in performance. You'll have to really watch the water level in the tank though as it wouldn't take much for the skimmer to run out of water using the surface skimmer. JMHO.

Old 07-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thx for the advice logan.

Called the LFS and they are willing to scoop me out some of their LS from the coral tanks. He tried to sell me some LS in a bag, but I wasn't falling for that...

I will call up Home Depot and see what that Southdown sand runs.

The plans for my tank is to have a mostly invert load. Probably will only put in 3-5 fish max. Everything else will be inverts, crabs, urchins, stars, etc... I think these are as pretty as their FO counterparts. This should help out the skimmer as the bio-load will be small.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

3-5 fish is a too many for a 20. The rule in SW is about 1 inch per 5 gallons. So you could get two 2 inch fish.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
A piccolo is a pretty small HOB skimmer. I heard about it through one of the guys at nano-reef.com who had one on a 10 gallon I think. I am looking into this, has anyone had one of these or heard any good reviews?
Old 07-01-2003, 04:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want one too, but have never seen one.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
3 small fish maybe...it's really easy to overdo it with SW. All I have in my 20H is one Bangaii Cardinal. My coral prop tanks have 1-2 damsels each (20 longs). I'd talk to fishfreek or reefrunner about a stock list before I bought anything. Just to be on the safe side...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:28 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I just bought the aquamedic turbofloater multi, it is pretty awesome for a skimmer in its class. Also, it can be used as a hang on or an in sump model.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thx for all the help guys. I'll shoot for 3 small fish max... Everything else will be inverts...
Old 07-01-2003, 08:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good deal.

Tags
bug

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com