Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I have the darn SW bug...

Ok ok. I am probably overloading myself as it is with my two FW tanks, but I really would love to try SW. Right now, I am set on a mini-reef design using a 20 gallon. Yeah I know it is small, but I really don't want a lot of fish in the thing. Maybe a few fish and then stock the rest of it with inverts. Just want to keep this small...

Ok now to my question. I know the rule about 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon. But my question focuses on the sand. Do I need LS or can I just use normal marine sand that sells in the LFS. Or can I go to the beach and get beach sand? I live here in PCB FL so I have access to the beach. Could I go out into the water and collect the sand in the water? Would that be live sand? Also, I have read that I need around 5"-6" for a DSB. This correct?

I feel like a newbie again...

Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Do I need LS or can I just use normal marine sand that sells in the LFS.
You can use a marine sand that you find in the LFS, but beware they are proud of that stuff. I recommend an arogonite based sand, rather than silica, but silica is also acceptable. I haven't looked yet, but Walmart is supposed to be carrying the Southdown sand, they may not carry the same regional distributions that Home Depot did, might be available ere in FL, which is only right considering it is processed in Ft Meyers.

Quote:
Or can I go to the beach and get beach sand? I live here in PCB FL so I have access to the beach.
You can do this, but I don't recommend it, there are many pollutants that can be on beach sand or close to a public beach or marina.

Quote:
Also, I have read that I need around 5"-6" for a DSB.
A DSB is not required for a successful reef, in a small tank like a 20, if you do go with a DSB, you probably don't want to go much deeper than 3-4".

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

YAY! it got you!! I agree with Kevin, dont get the ocean stuff, it has things you dont particularly want in it.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a plan guys. I will probably start setting this up within a couple weeks. Going to take my time on it to make sure I get everything right...
Old 07-01-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You realize that the bite of the SW bug is usually irreversible and that you are now doomed to an eternity of keeping reef tanks? I started with a 10g and one little clownfish. Now, there are 6 SW tanks in the house. Remember we warned you when you're up at 3 am staring into the tank with a flashlight .
I'm guessing you're going to use a 20 long? I think that would be better than the high. I have a 20 high and I wish I'd set it up using a 20 long instead. For the sandbed, if you have a friend with an established reef tank, you can get a cup or two of LS sand from their tank and use it to seed your sand. I'd stay away from the commercial bagged LS like Aragalive and others. It's expensive and, at best, only has some bacteria...none of the critters you'll need.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Logan,

I knew eventually I would get he SW bug. But I want to go small. Don't have the room or money to have a huge setup in the house. Besides the wife wouldn't like another big setup.

I am definitely getting a 20 long. I don't know anybody around here that keeps reefs so I am outta luck getting a lot of local help. But I have you guys for that.

So you say I shouldn't go with any kind of LS? Just LR? Should I then just get normal marine sand. Kevin suggested arogonite based sand or even Southdown sand (if I can find it). Would you agree?

I guess no matter what kind of sand I got, with LR in the tank, the sand would eventually become a part of the LR over time...

BTW, I went ahead and ordered a Seaclone Protein skimmer and another Maxijet Powerhead. Also bought a hyrdrometer. Getting there steadly, but surely.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
So you say I shouldn't go with any kind of LS?
I'm pretty sure what Logan meant, was not to go with the prepackaged LS, as it is not true LS. True live sand is alive with worms and critters, which can all be seeded with a few cups from an established sand bed. If you ask for LS and they ask how many pounds and start digging in a tank, that's good to have (average should be 2.00 per pound), but the bagged stuff just has some bacteria on it, and even that is debatable.

Quote:
the sand would eventually become a part of the LR over time...
Nope the sand will remain sand, but it will become LS

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a Seaclone Protein skimmer
If it's not to late, I suggest cancelling this order, I think for around the same money, you can do a better skimmer. I personally use a CPR bakpak 2R skimmer on my reef and have been pretty happy with it's preformance, but Seaclones have a bad track record. If you do keep the seaclone, look around the web for the modifications possible to make it more efficient.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty sure what Logan meant, was not to go with the prepackaged LS
Ahh I got ya. I am really debating about whether to invest in LS. Like you said, with the LR, over time, the sand will become LS. I think just investing in around 40lbs of LR may be the best way to go. Especially money wise.

Quote:
If it's not to late, I suggest cancelling this order
Hmm. I had read so many good reviews about this product too. That is weird. Well I can't cancel it now, but I can easily resell in on ebay. One of the big reasons I purchased it was because it is HOT design. I won't be using a sump and the HOT looked like a good alternative.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
That is exactly what I meant on the sand. Does your LFS have any reef tanks going? If so, see what it'd cost you to get a cup or two of sand from one of them to seed the rest of your sand bed with. I also agree that the SeaClone isn't the best skimmer. I use one on my puffer tank, but that's a 29g with only one fish. Another skimmer you might want to look at is the Aqua C Remora with a MJ 1200 PH. Marine Depot had these for about $164.00 with free shipping.
Although the SeaClone will pull some skimate from the water, they don't have much contact time. If you look at one while it's running, you can see that the air/water comes up the center tube in a very tight swirl. It then comes over the top and a few bubbles drop down the outer tube an inch or two. Then look at one of the better skimmers and you'll see that the bubbles fill the tube from top to bottom. This gives much more contact time and a better bombardment rate.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man, you really are getting into this Biggen, congratz. I also heard some good reveiws on the seaclone, but as you can see not many experienced reefers have any kind of good things to say for it. I bet you can find southdown, I found it at WalMart, I just need to go and get it.

Tags
bug

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com