I "Guess" my Cycle Might have Started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so does the "cycle" mysteriously just start when I add my LR/LS into the tank?

I just put the LR (~80lbs from LiveAquaria) in my 46 Gal last night, and already had 50 lbs of Sand (20lbs of LS, 30 Non-LS)... I have a Emperor 280 BioFilter running and have my Skimmer (Remora Pro) going, even if to just break it in. I have 2 MJ1200's moving the water arround and SG was right at 1.024 and temp of 78-79ish when I checked before bed last night.

I don't have a raw shrimp (I don't eat anything that swims or comes out of water) to put in the tank and kinda feel stupid going to to the Grocery and buying a single raw shrimp.

I have the Basic Marine Test Kit (Seachem I think) and planned on running through them for the 1st time tonight... I guess I don't really know what the plan of action should be (you think I would have worked this out already, huh?).

Because I got the LR On-line, and have some die-off from the 2nd Day Delivery I'm sure and I think this might be enough to get the cycle started, but I guess I'm not 100% sure.

The LFS of course told me to toss in a couple Damsels, but didn't know what the Experts here in AA suggest.

SW2

It does not mysteriously start it starts when an ammonia source is introduced. The rock/sand you added is experencing some minor dieoff and this is creating ammonia. Its this ammonia that starts the production of the bactera that performs the nitrite cycle.

You wont need the shrmip. The rock will have enough dieoff to cycle the tank. When yo do get around to adding fish do it slowly.

dont listen to your lfs, just put in a raw shrimp if you add fish they will most likely die during the cycle or get very stressed out

It still amazes me that the LFS recommends cycling with damsels. Ugh... Well at least it nearly guarantees them another fish sale after the damsels pass on.

Instead of felling silly and buying 1 or 2 raw shrimp, you could use staright ammonia from the grocery store. You will need to be very conservative in using this method as too high a level could kill the life on your rock and sand. I would put my pride aside and buy a few shrimp. They will bring the ammonia levels up slowly. You can then monitor it and do pwc's as necessary.

Good Luck,
Brian

ask your wife to make a shrimp salad and keep a couple left over ones for the cycle hehe

hackteck said:
ask your wife to make a shrimp salad and keep a couple left over ones for the cycle hehe

Because I don't eat any Seafood, she has more or less quit also... we live less than a mile from the Ocean and don't eat a drop of Seafood...

I guess that's what growing up in Nebraska will do to a guy...

SW2

just suck it up and buy a shrimp.. tell them it's for your fish tank.

I don't think you're going to need your biowheel filter... maybe save it for a QT. You have enough LR that it's probably best to let it handle the denitrification.

Back
Top Bottom