Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi rchbn..welcome to AA. glad you are getting going up the right path now...is there anyway you can remove your Shrimp to a QT (Quarantine Tank) until your's is cycled? He could die from the spikes as invertebrates are more sensitive than fish. I hate to see you lose anymore.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copepod View Post
Hi rchbn..welcome to AA. glad you are getting going up the right path now...is there anyway you can remove your Shrimp to a QT (Quarantine Tank) until your's is cycled? He could die from the spikes as invertebrates are more sensitive than fish. I hate to see you lose anymore.

No I don't have a QT yet. I'm looking at craiglist for a nice little setup to aid in bringing in new fish and medicating the ones with symptoms.

Rich

Old 03-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

How is it that you are going about preparing the water for changes?? are you letting it age atleast 24 hours?. If so, is the water circulating all the time? Make sure the water going in is the same temperature and salinity as the water coming out. I alsways make lots of water that sits atleast 24 hours before use. I have a bin with its own powerhead and heater going all the time for changing water. What do you mean by "test fish" in the #5 post?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrle View Post
How is it that you are going about preparing the water for changes?? are you letting it age atleast 24 hours?. If so, is the water circulating all the time? Make sure the water going in is the same temperature and salinity as the water coming out. I alsways make lots of water that sits atleast 24 hours before use. I have a bin with its own powerhead and heater going all the time for changing water. What do you mean by "test fish" in the #5 post?
That's what the shop called them, inexpensive fish to make sure the tank has been cycled and the water is healthy. I bought expensive fish not realizing that they were going to cause this ammonia spike due to adding them so the new shop suggested damsel fish to start with so I bought 8 of them yesterday and all is well so far! They are very active and fun to watch.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

If they were a responsible shop, they would have tested the water for you to make usre that it was safe. The place that I first went to wouldn't sell me fish until they tested my water, and was sure that it was safe. They have a customer for life now. i know that they respect the fish, and don't want any to come to harm to "test" the water. They have test kits for that.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

not to mention that 8 new fish at one time will most likely cause an ammonia fluctuation
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Hopefully someone reads this and learns from it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they filled the tank with rocks and sand and "let it sit for a while" to get it ready for fish. Having no idea what cycling is, or not owning a test kit.

Well Rich, looks like you're on your way now.

Good luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, ammonia spike, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com