I had an ammonia spike and the remedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchbn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
From my local store was to change out 8 gallons of water at a time so I did that but what I've found out since is that I should have let the water sit for a day and didn't the ammonia is down now and most everything is well except there are air bubbles stuck on my turbo snails and the black riser column. Is this something to worry about or should I just let the water age before trying to add fish again?

I lost the four fish that I had during all this time and the advise I got wasn't that good or they assumed that the water I was adding was aged? I won't use them for service in the future and will rely on the test kit and what I'm learning here!

Thanks for any help, Rich

My tank is a new 90 gallon with a large sump and protein skimmer.

Hello and welcome to AA. A few questions? How old is your set up? Did you cycle the tank and how? Hopefully the 4 fish were not for cycling purposes. If they were then that`s why they died. Give us a little bit more info.

The tank is about 4 months old. I let it sit and settle in for one month then I was told all was good and added fish. Everything was great or so I thought until one mornng one fish had just died no symptoms of anything just upside down between the rocks. Took a sample of water and was told oh ammonia a little high and change out 10% per time and do that three times. I did that but didn't temper the water properly I'm finding out. So I added fresh highly oxygenated water and fresh salt to it which I have since learned is caustic to fish if the water isn't tempered?

I've just tested my water and I'm off to a different store to find out what I can do or what I should do? My nitrite is reading toxic on the test strips but nitrates are a little up but not bad.

So I need to know how to lower the nitrite with hopefully better results than water changes with caustic water.

Rich

PS How do you turn this annoying thing off to the right when you type?

What filtration are you using? Canister/sump/fuge etc mainly biological if trites are high....... admitadly it is a new tank only four months old, a mature system is considered after 12 months. It seems you may have not completed a cycle to mature the system or something passing on raised your levels and now you have a Trite problem hence the question about filtration, have you changed any sponges/wool in your filtration or rinsed them out killing of Nitrifying Bacteria........ I would ensure there is nothing 'rotting' in there...all food is eaten quickly even stop feeding for a day or so (fish will be fine) and also conduct 10% PWC daily till you see the Trite drop.... monitor all levels till you see a constant trend of good rwadings then recommence stocking slowly!

Sump filtration, I've cleaned the filters several times. Yes it is a newer tank and I'm new to salt water as well so I'm learning as I go. My biggest problem so far was listening to the "kids" at the store I bought it from thinking they were the experts....well I don't think that's the case and after the way I was treated on the phone the other day I don't think I'll step foot in that store again until there is a change over in help.

I don't really know how to feed yet I guess might be my problem. I was using flakes and pellets and some frozen shrimp the shrimp were once a week and half a frozen cube. How do you gather the uneaten food? I thought that was what the shrimp and snails were for?

I have one blood shrimp but I've not seen him on the floor he sticks to the rocks. Very reclusive too, which I don't care for much he should be out strutting around!!

I went to a more respected shop today and was told to change out 30% add fresh water wait a week then add test fish to see how it goes and then repeat in 6 weeks and the test fish should be OK with the change. But by then I can have R.O. water sitting and aging so it won't be so drastic.

Still have a lot to learn, but ya gotta start somewhere or sit on the sidelines and wish. My Mother's favorite saying was $@#t in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first!!

Thanks for the help, Rich

P.S. No if I could get those smilies off the right side of the edit window I would be happier!

What clean up crew do you have in there? If you were feeding as you say then any 'old food' would be eaten by them....... hermits, sand sifting stars are some of the best and yes snail also do this. When you clean the filters do you do it all at once or stagger? Also do you clean it in old tank water or tap water? Feeding should be done so that it is all eaten within five mins tops unless you are keeping Tangs where they like to 'graze' all day. As you have done change shops........ and when you find somone knowledgeable stick with them....... foutunately I have my LFS 5 mins down the road and the guys there are very good, alternatively same company 30 mins down motorway/freeway are are always helpfull on the phone or oprtune visit. Good luck! As for smilies no idea sorry!!!

It sounds like your tank was not cycled. That`s why the high ammonia. We have a good article on cycling in our articles section.

It sounds like your tank was not cycled. That`s why the high ammonia. We have a good article on cycling in our articles section.

Great thanks for the tip but I can't find the article. Do you have a link to the article that your talking about or what I can search for?

TIA, Rich

Great thanks for the link I was searching for ammonia, I found that link and went out this AM and got two nice raw tails and put them in and I can't believe how fast they are breaking down and how happy my blood shrimp is feeding on his distant cousin!

Can't wait for the spike then drop and get back to a healthy tank with vibrant fish. I had one that had such a good personality, I have one of my jets pointing downward so it made a dish in the crushed coral and he would swim down there feel the current swim against it and then jet off the the right or left and repeat a few times like he was working out... Can't wait to get back to that and more.

Thanks everyone for the help getting me going in the right direction, Rich

Hi rchbn..welcome to AA. glad you are getting going up the right path now...is there anyway you can remove your Shrimp to a QT (Quarantine Tank) until your's is cycled? He could die from the spikes as invertebrates are more sensitive than fish. I hate to see you lose anymore.

Hi rchbn..welcome to AA. glad you are getting going up the right path now...is there anyway you can remove your Shrimp to a QT (Quarantine Tank) until your's is cycled? He could die from the spikes as invertebrates are more sensitive than fish. I hate to see you lose anymore.

No I don't have a QT yet. I'm looking at craiglist for a nice little setup to aid in bringing in new fish and medicating the ones with symptoms.

Rich

How is it that you are going about preparing the water for changes?? are you letting it age atleast 24 hours?. If so, is the water circulating all the time? Make sure the water going in is the same temperature and salinity as the water coming out. I alsways make lots of water that sits atleast 24 hours before use. I have a bin with its own powerhead and heater going all the time for changing water. What do you mean by "test fish" in the #5 post?

How is it that you are going about preparing the water for changes?? are you letting it age atleast 24 hours?. If so, is the water circulating all the time? Make sure the water going in is the same temperature and salinity as the water coming out. I alsways make lots of water that sits atleast 24 hours before use. I have a bin with its own powerhead and heater going all the time for changing water. What do you mean by "test fish" in the #5 post?

That's what the shop called them, inexpensive fish to make sure the tank has been cycled and the water is healthy. I bought expensive fish not realizing that they were going to cause this ammonia spike due to adding them so the new shop suggested damsel fish to start with so I bought 8 of them yesterday and all is well so far! They are very active and fun to watch.

If they were a responsible shop, they would have tested the water for you to make usre that it was safe. The place that I first went to wouldn't sell me fish until they tested my water, and was sure that it was safe. They have a customer for life now. i know that they respect the fish, and don't want any to come to harm to "test" the water. They have test kits for that.

Hopefully someone reads this and learns from it. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say they filled the tank with rocks and sand and "let it sit for a while" to get it ready for fish. Having no idea what cycling is, or not owning a test kit.

Well Rich, looks like you're on your way now. :)

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom