Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to fernzpat
I hate my tank right now!!!

I am at the point I want to put the whole dang thing on Ebay right now!!!!

I am sooooooooo tired of anything to do with plumbing

Let me explain my pain if you will... I am trying to put a refugium under my 90gal. I had the guys from the LFS re-plumb my pump with flex tubing, but they used a lot of non flex tubing so I still do not have much versatility in moving things around. I have a rather large sump, but was able to sqeeeeeze (took well over an hour) in a ten hex to act as the refugium. Then the hard part, putting in the overflow from the 'fuge to the sump. I had to saw off part of the return brace and nix the drip plate and sqeeeeze and curse for about an hour to get this part of the tank set. My problem now is that the return water drops about nine inches making an incredible racket that elicited some very harsh looks from my spouse. So I try to connect a tube from the bottom of the return brace to a lower level in the sump, you guessed it no threads and no easy way to connect a tube. Then I try to tape and cement it to the return brace and it rewards me with about a second and a half of perfection before pulling a Detroit Tiger (for you non-sports fans a total and absolute colapse!).
So now I have a obnoxiously loud water fall under my tank without any ideas on how to fix it. To top off my miseries my attempt to route my water from my skimmer to the 'fuge seems to be foiled because the hose from the simmer kinks up to the fuge.
I have had this tank for almost two years now and I really feel like pulling the plug!

Thanks for listening to my pain.

-Patrick

Old 08-15-2003, 06:57 PM   #2

Not to worry mate,

Nothing a sit back and examine won't cure...

You might try angling a piece of plexiglass for the water to run down until it reaches the sump water...This could quite it down a bit...Also, you could put a wet/dry filter sponge below it to catch the water flow... this is very quiet..I do this to catch the return from my skimmer....
Old 08-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Just a thought...
I had/have a similar problem. I used a length of flexible tubing that just fits inside the overflow hose and reaches almost the bottom of the sump. It stays in place and got rid of the 'Falls' noise.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I may try that... I have been trying to find a hose that was larger, but smaller may be the trick. I don't know how to secure a smaller one though... How did you do it?

-Patrick
Old 08-17-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I didn't secure it . I just shoved it up a couple of inches. The OD of the tubing is JUST slightly smaller than the ID of the plastic coupling it slide into. Maybe I just got lucky with that part...
Anyway, the tubing comes out of the plastic coupling and extends below the water line in the sump. There is a slight bend to it and it touches the side wall the sump. There is nothing securing it. If I remove the sump top that contains the coupling the tubing will fall out. NBD, I just shove it back in when replacing the top, with the pump turned off. If the pump is turned on it's a bit trickier to replace the tubing and get it back in place without making a mess .

HTH
Old 08-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think I will try that... Of course the twenty types of tubes I have lying around are either to big or two small

Guess I'm heading back to HD or Lowes again....

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:09 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Know what you mean. I got lucky finding one that was almost right, but it works.
Measure the opening and then try to find tubing that's is just under that. Might save a few bucks

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com