Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

no, they have sw hermits that live under water. I have quite a few myself, very amusing to watch. Just have to provide them with extra shells so they don't kill each other or snails.

They dont get nearly as big as the ones I think you mean, don't worry. I'd put like 5 in a 20g.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #22

So can I do 5 hermits 1 occelaris 1 goby or blenny and ? Amount of shrimp?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if I would stick a blenny in a 20g, you are just on the small side for one of them. However, Carey gives great advice, so, if she recommends one, you are probably fine.

Don't just go with all hermits for your CUC, you need something that can clean your glass for you. I found that astrea snails do the best job for this. Stay away from turbo snails, with a small tank, your chunks of rock won't be so big making it easy for them to knock stuff down. They do get pretty big for a snail. Split your CUC with about 3 hermits, 4 astrea snails, 6-8 nassarius snails (they keep sand stirred up by burrowing), and if you want a shrimp, you could get away with a cleaner shrimp, or a pair of peppermint shrimp.

Also, remember to keep anything such as rocks on the bottom glass, and then pour your sand around it. This helps keep rocks from sliding due to things burrowing under the sand.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #24

So and occelaris and a goby?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hagen sells a kit with just a ballast and end caps. It's capable of supporting up to 4 bulbs. You just need to buy however many bulbs you have and also the reflectors which you can make or purchase with the kit.

This way you can make a cheapo fixture and have your bulbs staggered so you'll get even lighting all throughout the tank.

I believe fishneedit also sells similar retrofit kits.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #26

can i get a link for that? also i like cardnalfish is my tank too small for one of them?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

30in 4Bulbs fixtures

30inch 4 bulb fixture. 110USD

30in 2Bulbs fixtures

30 inch 2 bulb 70 usd

edit: I couldn't find the 4 bulb retrofit. I think I was hallucinating the extra two bulbs because they were all two bulb kits lol. But anyways fishneedit also sells cheapo ballasts in case you're all up for wiring your own light fixture. (I'd be deathly afraid of my own wiring skills lol)
Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #28

haha now i need like a list of what i need. and some explaining on the saltwater part and why you need ro di systems and stuff
Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There are some blennies that dont get too big, thats what I was thinking on. You can check Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums they have a nano fish section. Any of those fish would be fine in your tank. You could do a clown and an orange lined cardinal fish with CUC and shrimps.

A good cuc in my opinion would be about 5 hermits, 5-10 narcissus snails and maybe 6 snails that eat algae. The narcissus snails go under your sand and dont eat algae but eat ll athe other crap.

I would look at the links for the fishneedit lights, cheap and can support a lot of things.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #30

Now I got the stock and the rocks and corals and rocks down but what salinity do I need and do I need a skimmer or whatever and do I need a operettas or anything?

Tags
20 gallon, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com