I have a ciranolid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yup...confirmed sighting just a few hours ago. No doubt about what I saw...definitely a ciranolid.

It most likely arrived in the tank 8 months ago with my LR shipment. That, or it arrived with a coral fragment purchased about 3 weeks ago.

I had one shot at catching it, which of course failed. Fast is an understatement for these guys!

So far, I have not seen any damage to the three fish that live in the tank. Man...I hope it is a lone fellow who can't reproduce....

The way I look at it, one of two things is happening:

1) You got the Isopod on your LR 8 months ago. Since you have had fish, the Isopod has been sucking the blood out of your fish at night when no lights are on. Isopods rarely cause visible damage to fish when they do this.

2) You got it three weeks ago with the frag. I am not sure of the life cycle of an Isopod, but the one you have could be ready to drop a batch of eggs in your tank, then you are really in trouble.

Either way sucks. IMO you gotta get that out of there.

I caught two in my tank with a turkey baster and a lot of patience. You can catch them wandering around the substrate at night. A dimmed flashlight helps to find them, since they run from light. Also, if you have a red lens for your flashlight, use that. Here are the ones I caught:

iso.jpg

iso2.jpg

iso3.jpg

LOL ...... that thing is huge....... you'd better get it outta there before you wake up missing a pint of blood........ LOL

Sharks and similar ocean predators are somewhat predictable which makes them easy to photograph safely. What I really want to know is who took the picture of that large one in the water...

"Ooh, look how big that flesh burrowing Isopod is, I should swim closer for this picture!"

8O

Back
Top Bottom