Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
I have a few crazy questions about my upgrade

I am setting up a 150 gallon fowlr and have purchased a wet/dry system. The system holds 25 gallons of water more or less. Does this add the 25+ gallon total to my system allowing me to utilize 175 gallons of total water volume for deciding on livestock? I will have about 25# of LR in the wet/dry instead of the bioballs. I will be combining my 46 gallon and my 65 gallon into the 150. The 110 gallons of cycled water and the 130# of cycled LR into the main tank ( a total of about 155#) with the remainder of the water ( approx 40 gallons) added as top off, premixed and aged. Will the tank re-cycle due to this? I have never upgraded at this level before and don't want to mess it all up. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There will be an increase in the gallonage, but if you mean more gallons as in a 120 gal. tank or a 175 gal. tank for deciding on what size fish you will be able to keep no that would be the tanks demesion. Is all the LR cured if not the tank will cycle. I would think if the LR is cured with the new water and disturbing the substrate (you didnt mention wether that is new or not) you will have some cycling happen. I would watch the tank for a week or two to see if it does cycle.
Good luck the boss won't let me get my 120,She said there was no more room for anymore tanks

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I am setting up a 150 gallon fowlr and have purchased a wet/dry system. The system holds 25 gallons of water more or less. Does this add the 25+ gallon total to my system allowing me to utilize 175 gallons of total water volume for deciding on livestock?
IMO, no. There are many variable to the stocking rule, space being the main one any more. Since the wet/dry will not give you more actual swimming room for your fish...I don't think so.

Quote:
The 110 gallons of cycled water and the 130# of cycled LR into the main tank ( a total of about 155#) with the remainder of the water ( approx 40 gallons) added as top off, premixed and aged. Will the tank re-cycle due to this?
No it shouldn't. It would be the same as doing a large water change.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 10:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You mentioned using LR in the wet/dry instead of bioballs. Most wet/drys are set up so that the water trickles over the biomedia. In order for the LR to work, it will have to be submerged. If you have water trickling over it, it won't be any different than the bio balls and will eventually start to produce nitrate. I'm sure you thought of this, but I wanted to mention it just in case.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I didn't think of that, would I be better off to use the bioballs then? and save the rock for the tank?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Save the rock for the tank, and don't use bioballs.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do you use for media then ? What is the purpose of a wet/dry then?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:00 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Wet/dry's are typically needed on FO tanks that either don't have LR or don't have enough to handle the biological filtration. The bio balls will convert the ammonia/nitrite to nitrate and release it into the water. The LR and DSB (didn't know if you set it up with a DSB) will convert the ammonia/nitrite to nitrate and the nitrate to nitrogen gas. Take all the media out of the wet/dry and use it as a sump. You should have enough LR for a light bio load. If you intend to heavily stock the tank, I'd add another 75lbs or so. The best thing would be to add more LR and keep a light bio load...it will be lots easier to keep water quality up.

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com