I have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawasakizx636

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i stated my sw aquarium 2 months ago and evrything seems fine.
I have a 46g bowfront with about 50 lbs of live rock. For fish, i have 2 clown fish, 1 christmas wrasse and 1 coral beauty. I'm thinking of getting a lionfish once my clowns get bigger. Also i want to add at least one more. Any suggestions, maybe a yellow tang. oh yeah, i also have 2 cleaner shrimp and 3 hermit crabs.
thx in advance for the info.

I would stick with something small. The lion most likely make short work ofthe clowns. A tang simply needs more space then your 46 will allow. How about a royal gramma or purple firefish?

I agree..your tank is pushing the limit now as far as number of fish. Tangs would be totally unsuitable and only the dwarf lion variety could possibly be considered. I agree with lando that the lion would eat the clowns too, along with the ornamental shrimp.

i thought lionfish only eat things that fit in there mouth.
clowns are already bigger then there mouth, and i'm shur there even gonna get bigger so...also my shrims are pretty big.

I agree also about the fish in that your bioload will be too much for that tank. Cant comment on the lion fish as I have never had one.

I have had several lionfish and a clown would be considered just a passing snack. Their mouth is huge.

how about a dejardini? For my last fish, I want a nice expensive fish not a little cheap fish. and yes i will be switching to a bigger tank so i'm shur it would be alright for a baby yellow tang or dejardini, or something else. Any suggestions?
also i'd like to start adding some coral soon but my lfs told me that i need at least nine hours of light. I'm at 7 hours right now.i'm shur theres something i can add, i have a couple polyps that came with my rock and its doing just fine.
thx for your time.

many people say i will get a bigger tank, when i first started i said that and many fish died from stress, too small a tank.

lionfish their mouths may look small but have u seen them open?? I've seen a 4" lion take down a 6'' wrasse. Bad idea..

Youhave 2 clowns, coral beauty, xmas wrasse..

I'd add 2 firefish and maybe a goby of some sort and that would be it.

A tang needs swimming room, your tank does not have that. I am quite familiar with the size and the shape and a tang, even a small one, is not suitable.

I agree, simply not a good choice. If you do intend to upgrade to a larger tank n the future it is best to hold off on the tang until then.

Back
Top Bottom