Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2003, 09:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

MAN! It sounds like you struck gold when you were digging that pond because man that sounds like it would take a lot of money, I wanna see some pics!

Old 03-25-2003, 11:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You got ME excited... not only a huge SW setup, but one you can swim in? I want to see pics too... Don't have any advice to offer up..sorry....but Best of Luck!

Old 04-06-2003, 05:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The Idea is beginning to solidify!
I have recieved some guidance from a friend at...ironaclly, Seaworld. Or what used to be Seaworld in Ohio. I will keep you posted, and thanks for the insight. As he explained it to me, calcium, trace elements, and alkalinity can be monitered on an automated system. It is expensive to setup, but will maintain large volumes of "living water" eco-systems at a relatively low cost. As for your calculations they were quite good, we are anticipating approximately 56,480 gallons of enjoyable saltwater. I plan to incorporate a shower in the pump and filter room, and a wall full of snorkle gear along with some rechargable "spare-air" canisters from a buddy in Florida. I do think I will add some corals to the system, and I am discussing the logistics of some "appropriatly aquired" naturally grown sea fans. The only serious dilemma is what type of inhabitants to go with, I want to maintain a natural sea scenario. I hope to have the system up and running in the next couple of years, and I will be certain to Post a HUGE article here for all of the individuals that would truly enjoy this. When it is finished expect photos dirt through live action feeding. Money is not unlimited, but no expense will be spared to make it look realistic. No sense creating it if it looks cheesy. I can wait an extra year to do it right. For the curious the enclosure approx: 20k, the basin: 2k, the glass was free!, the heat system is already in place yeah!, the air exchange: 800, the control unit to balance water quality and levels runs from 2-20k pray for the low end or I am sunk. Pardon the pun. Then it is just marine life forms. I hope that the glass doesn't break! Cross your fingers. I really plan to charge for dives, but come-on... who wouldn't in the middle of winter in the northern US. Cheap trip to immerse oneself in such natural beauty.

Fly Guy 74
Phd Psych
Old 04-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Umm, that is amazing. I am speechless. I am glad you are patient

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com