Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a question for all the experts.

I am interested in creating an outdoor saltwater pond. I would like any input, links, advice, or suggestions you may have. My main dilemma is location. I am in Ohio. I plan to fabricate a climate cover for the nasty season that will have some sort of vapor seal to maintain temperature while allowing sunlight in.

Thanks for your input!
FlyGuy

Old 03-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, not sure how feasable it is. Would the pond be covered to keep water out? IE snow and rain? Not real sure how you would deal with the ground temp either, it would cool the water tremendously during the winter. The only place I have heard of outdoor SW ponds/lagoons is in tropical areas very close to the reefs, you know. where it never gets below 70 year round..........

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One thing is to maintain the oxygen gas exchange in the winter. A vapor seal could keep the warm air in and at the same time restrict the amount of available oxygen inside the bubble.

What about the lack of long light exposure in the winter months? I know the day can be rather short here in the winter vs the summer. Since the sun is at a lower angle the intensity is also less.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that you would have to line the outside with about 6 inches of styrofoam, maybe more. I hope you do it, although it sounds risky and expensive.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Doesn't sound feasible to me for the above reasons and others. How about a large aquarium located low to the floor with suspended lights so you can look in at the top. Maybe a large plastic trough or someting similar. You could maintain it indoors like an aquarium but it would be for viewing from the top.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing I think that is possible would cost a lot of money and consists of a large greenhouse type thing, will heaters for the air and concrete which would enclose the tank.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

For those that have replied, a few clerifications. I plan to have a large sun room attatched to the side of the rec room, triple pane thermal glass, circulation subfloor heating system around the bottom and sides of the "pond" it will be heated by an external heat system rated for 6000 sq' of floor space, I currently heat 3600 in my home. The enclosure is a bit pricey, but it is feesable, and the kicker my fellow fish lovers, is... the dimensions rate it at 9736" of fish minus tail. Quick math = 811 feet of salties. I plan to dive in it as well as look at it. Please send me thoughts because I am getting close to pouring the cement. One of the cheif benefits,aside for northern american reef diving $5.00 for 1 hour lol, is the 8 foot by 12 foot wall of glass in the basement. I bought the glass sheet cheap from a friend at sea world, the were refitting a tank, hence the pre-set tank window. Couldn't pass it up, and no I have the opportunity to make a dream come true. I am looking for any info and suggestions. Heating, Filters, Lighting, large scale live rock and ready to use base rock in bulk and curiosities for pets that are just too big for tank life. Drop me a note.
Bye the way the "pond" has been dug and is waiting the flexible piping to maintain ground temp.

Fly Guy
Old 03-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
What you describe is way beyond a pond or an aquarium. A comercial size display tank has it's own logistics. The equipment I would guess you need isn't available in the aquarium trade. Heaters and pumps that large are industrial size. Do you have public aquariums nearby? That may be a good place to start. See if they'll give you a tour of the equipment rooms. I wouldn't use all natural reef rock. Most commercial displays I have seen use fake rocks molded to look like a reef. It looks pretty good. You could add LR to seed the fake rocks with coraline algae. A boat load of sand to cover the bottom would be about right. A fake reef wall (or dish or crater) adorned with live coral and fish would be an awesome display. At 5 gal/inch your "tank" will be close to 50000 gallons. That sound about right? What are the dimensions? You would probably need additional biofiltration and/or mechanical fitration. Not sure if you could run it "Berlin". Protein skimmers made out of 10" or 12" PVC pipe 6 or 8 feet long will be needed.
What a cool project. Is funding basically unlimited? Let us know when it is finished so we can come look at it.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The advice for this type of set up is beyond me, but when it is finished I want pictures!!! It sounds like you've taken into consideration all the things I would think would hinder a set up like that. If you have a friend at Seaworld, I would think that would be the best place to get advice. Obviously you won't be doing waterchanges, are you going to keep corals? what will you use for replenishment of trace elements and Calcium and Alkalinity maintenance?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:37 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Maybe you could get some info from www.mr4000.com

What you described in your second post really sounds like a rather expensive undertaking. Regretfully I think its far beyond our knowledge in its size.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com