Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

This might seem dumb but i need HELP!!!

Ok I have had a cyano problem the other day and I am pretty sure it was because I was over feeding (2 cubes in am 3 in pm)so I cut down the feeding to once a day w/ 2 cubes.... Now I have been feeding the new way for 2 days and now all of a sudden I cannot find my foxface rabbitfish anywhere .... He had no signs of sickness and I know he was in there after I cleaned tank other day... I looked in every hiding spot I could see him fitting in and even looked inside filter still nowhere to be found... I have fine sand substrate is it
Possible he would have dug himself in the sand and maybe died??? My fiance thinks the other fish may have eaten him but wouldn't there be pieces of him left over??? It's driving me insane and bow she has me thinking I stressed them by cutting feedings and now I don't know want to think.... Also my yellow tangs one fin looks a little red like someone might be picking on him.... The size order in my tank is as follows from big to small

Hippo tang
Scopas tang
Rabbit fish
Yellow tang
Sailfin tang
2 clown fish
2 damsels

Only other things I have are 2 very small leathers 3 condy anemones and cleaners (blue leg hermit crabs and snails)

Can someone please help me thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say just be patient and give it some time

Old 01-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

But where would he be?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The only help I can give you is to tell you again that your tank is way over stocked. 4 tangs in a 60 gallon tank is way over the limit and will cause disease and parasite problems due to a lower immune system. The yellow, Scopas and sailfin need at least a 100 to 125 gallon tank. The hippo needs a 90 gallon tank. The other added fish are not helping. I know it`s not what you want to hear but I`ve seen it over and over again. There next post was something like why are my fish dead.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am in process of getting another tank 100-120 gallon just not sure which yet all the fish are small for now except the hippo he is biggest
Old 01-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarkalan83
Ok I have had a cyano problem the other day and I am pretty sure it was because I was over feeding (2 cubes in am 3 in pm)so I cut down the feeding to once a day w/ 2 cubes.... Now I have been feeding the new way for 2 days and now all of a sudden I cannot find my foxface rabbitfish anywhere .... He had no signs of sickness and I know he was in there after I cleaned tank other day... I looked in every hiding spot I could see him fitting in and even looked inside filter still nowhere to be found... I have fine sand substrate is it Possible he would have dug himself in the sand and maybe died??? My fiance thinks the other fish may have eaten him but wouldn't there be pieces of him left over??? It's driving me insane and bow she has me thinking I stressed them by cutting feedings and now I don't know want to think.... Also my yellow tangs one fin looks a little red like someone might be picking on him.... The size order in my tank is as follows from big to small Hippo tang Scopas tang Rabbit fish Yellow tang Sailfin tang 2 clown fish 2 damsels Only other things I have are 2 very small leathers 3 condy anemones and cleaners (blue leg hermit crabs and snails) Can someone please help me thanks
Sounds like you have high ammonia levels in your tank this can leed to a fishes skin turning red you need to do a water change every day for 7 days about 25% of the water. As for your fish then can be eaten by the critters in your LR if not seen for a few days if he died in there get a test kit and keep up with water changes
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red fins may also be a sigh of high nitrate concentration.. And regarding the missing fish I have no clue..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
do you have test kits? i would test the water for ammonia. if you don't have a test kit, take a sample to the LFS. they will test it for you.. btw, did you check behind the tank on the floor?
btw, restricting feeding for just a couple days will not effect the fish's behavior.
it's also possible that the tank crash everyone was warning about is nearly here.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have shrimp and crabs, and he died they would have picked him clean in half a day, I had a wrasse die once and 2 cleaner shrimp had him picked to bones in like an afternoon
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

there might be plenty of spots you can't see, i only have a 14G and i have plenty of blind spots

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com