I have had a cyano problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smarkalan83

Aquarium Advice Activist
This might seem dumb but i need HELP!!!

Ok I have had a cyano problem the other day and I am pretty sure it was because I was over feeding (2 cubes in am 3 in pm)so I cut down the feeding to once a day w/ 2 cubes.... Now I have been feeding the new way for 2 days and now all of a sudden I cannot find my foxface rabbitfish anywhere .... He had no signs of sickness and I know he was in there after I cleaned tank other day... I looked in every hiding spot I could see him fitting in and even looked inside filter still nowhere to be found... I have fine sand substrate is it
Possible he would have dug himself in the sand and maybe died??? My fiance thinks the other fish may have eaten him but wouldn't there be pieces of him left over??? It's driving me insane and bow she has me thinking I stressed them by cutting feedings and now I don't know want to think.... Also my yellow tangs one fin looks a little red like someone might be picking on him.... The size order in my tank is as follows from big to small

Hippo tang
Scopas tang
Rabbit fish
Yellow tang
Sailfin tang
2 clown fish
2 damsels

Only other things I have are 2 very small leathers 3 condy anemones and cleaners (blue leg hermit crabs and snails)

Can someone please help me thanks

The only help I can give you is to tell you again that your tank is way over stocked. 4 tangs in a 60 gallon tank is way over the limit and will cause disease and parasite problems due to a lower immune system. The yellow, Scopas and sailfin need at least a 100 to 125 gallon tank. The hippo needs a 90 gallon tank. The other added fish are not helping. I know it`s not what you want to hear but I`ve seen it over and over again. There next post was something like why are my fish dead.

I am in process of getting another tank 100-120 gallon just not sure which yet all the fish are small for now except the hippo he is biggest

Smarkalan83 said:
Ok I have had a cyano problem the other day and I am pretty sure it was because I was over feeding (2 cubes in am 3 in pm)so I cut down the feeding to once a day w/ 2 cubes.... Now I have been feeding the new way for 2 days and now all of a sudden I cannot find my foxface rabbitfish anywhere .... He had no signs of sickness and I know he was in there after I cleaned tank other day... I looked in every hiding spot I could see him fitting in and even looked inside filter still nowhere to be found... I have fine sand substrate is it Possible he would have dug himself in the sand and maybe died??? My fiance thinks the other fish may have eaten him but wouldn't there be pieces of him left over??? It's driving me insane and bow she has me thinking I stressed them by cutting feedings and now I don't know want to think.... Also my yellow tangs one fin looks a little red like someone might be picking on him.... The size order in my tank is as follows from big to small Hippo tang Scopas tang Rabbit fish Yellow tang Sailfin tang 2 clown fish 2 damsels Only other things I have are 2 very small leathers 3 condy anemones and cleaners (blue leg hermit crabs and snails) Can someone please help me thanks

Sounds like you have high ammonia levels in your tank this can leed to a fishes skin turning red you need to do a water change every day for 7 days about 25% of the water. As for your fish then can be eaten by the critters in your LR if not seen for a few days if he died in there get a test kit and keep up with water changes

do you have test kits? i would test the water for ammonia. if you don't have a test kit, take a sample to the LFS. they will test it for you.. btw, did you check behind the tank on the floor?
btw, restricting feeding for just a couple days will not effect the fish's behavior.
it's also possible that the tank crash everyone was warning about is nearly here.

If you have shrimp and crabs, and he died they would have picked him clean in half a day, I had a wrasse die once and 2 cleaner shrimp had him picked to bones in like an afternoon

Just did 20% change and even before the change my ammonia was 0 as it is now .... Mr x I thought I was crazy when I thought to look behind but at least now
I know I am not... But he was not there.... I know people are saying it's going to crash but that doesn't explain a fish disappearing and the yellow tan I know was getting picked on i saw him get nipped at .... Thanks for suggestions

Well I have only one carb a Sally lightfoot and no shrimp I just don't understand where he would go to I do have hiding spots but ones I think he oils fit in I checked .... I'm goin to try to
Rake the sand when I get home i just don't want my tank going crazy if he did die

Do you have a clicking sound coming from the tank when you turn the light out a night?

No clicking sound that I noticed I will check again once I am home .... What would that mean

a mantis shrimp. i think if you had a predator, you would be noticing fish disappearing sporadically, not a behavior change all at once.

I had lost 2 fish a while back and there was a clicking in the tank it turned out it was a mantis shrimp nasty critters will eat anything things just disappear over night

Just got no rabbitfish and no clicking.... Where would the mantis shrimp even come from?

Just raked some sand found nothing checked levels and ammonia is 0 but nitrates is between 40 and 80.... I am going to change water right now but I only have about 3 gallons ready until I go to store tomorrow .... Do you think my fish will survive?

Just raked some sand found nothing checked levels and ammonia is 0 but nitrates is between 40 and 80.... I am going to change water right now but I only have about 3 gallons ready until I go to store tomorrow .... Do you think my fish will survive?

Back
Top Bottom