Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone have any other suggestions on this deal I have to meet today. Main concern is the live rock having all the algae on it.

Thanks
Josh

Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf
Anyone have any other suggestions on this deal I have to meet today. Main concern is the live rock having all the algae on it.

Thanks
Josh
The rock is fine. If you are going to cycle the 75 you do it with lights off and the algae won't grow. If there is still remains of it after you get thru cycle you can always get a lawnmower blenny and he will clean it up for you as well as your clean up crew.

If you are starting with a FOWLR, you are fine- but when you decide to go reef just rehome the Angels.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina View Post
The rock is fine. If you are going to cycle the 75 you do it with lights off and the algae won't grow. If there is still remains of it after you get thru cycle you can always get a lawnmower blenny and he will clean it up for you as well as your clean up crew.

If you are starting with a FOWLR, you are fine- but when you decide to go reef just rehome the Angels.

As far as the fish how should I go about introducing them to the tank after the swap. I dont want them to die during this process. Would it be better for me to take them to my local fish store and hand them over. I have never bought a tank that was already developed.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf

As far as the fish how should I go about introducing them to the tank after the swap. I dont want them to die during this process. Would it be better for me to take them to my local fish store and hand them over. I have never bought a tank that was already developed.
Do that- take them to your LFS and see if they will give you credit for something else you need
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or if they don't offer credit, ask if they will sell them in commission.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought the set up hopefully it all works out. Thanks fir all the advice
Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would skip it. I can't see any pictures but if there is a lot of algae, you are asking for a battle from the start. You may want to "cook" the rock. This simply means putting it in a container void of light with a heater and a power head for a few months until all of the photosynthetic organisms have died off. I don't know why people call that "cooking"....
The lighting is old school and there have been many advances since then. I personally, wouldn't bother with them.

The sand bed can be washed out and reused.
How much live rock is in the tank?

oops....I'm a little late.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I would skip it. I can't see any pictures but if there is a lot of algae, you are asking for a battle from the start. You may want to "cook" the rock. This simply means putting it in a container void of light with a heater and a power head for a few months until all of the photosynthetic organisms have died off. I don't know why people call that "cooking"....
The lighting is old school and there have been many advances since then. I personally, wouldn't bother with them.

Lol I do that all the time with the jeep forum I'm with
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

As others have suggested, you can always sell what you don't want. But I'm sure you won't regret getting a bigger tank. We're already regretting starting small and we're barely into it.
I second the advice to thoroughly rinse the sand instead of buying new 'live' sand. His sand will be much more live even after rinsing. And yeah, wish we'd cycled in the dark. Finally getting ahead of LR algae now (and it was never horrible) but it could have been avoided.

- D
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X

Approx 100 lb of rock

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com