I have the option to buy a 90 gal sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the option to buy a 90 gal sw tank with extras like lights, live rock,coral, sand, and fish . They are asking 350 for all. I am in process of setting up a 75 gal and I am not sure if this would be a good move for me to get the live rock, water, and sand. They sent me some pictures and i will attach to this post. The tank looks alittle rough to me but once again remember im and new at this and not very sure. Any advice is appricated. I dont want to make a bad investment.

thanks all
Josh
DSC_0359.jpg

Can't see ur pics but if there good quality then price is not bad depending on what king of lights they can run u 100 to 400 alone then the live rock that's 6 to 9 dollars a pound

I'd do it in a heart beat and then turn around and sell whatever you don't need on Craigslist a month later

The seller says the rock needs blown off it has some brown algae, coraline algae and several polyp that have be neglected. 5 fish flame angle,coral beauty,2 perculas, and a damsel. 2 -175w halogen with 2- 65w compact. Can I clean off the rock with powerhead and resuse. The sand is pretty dirty I was just goin to buy live sand and use that. Am I able to do this ?
Thanks all
Josh

I'm sure you could use a large bucket of saltwater and scrub it off- then shake it off in another bucket of clean saltwater.

As far as the sand- I wouldn't bother with live. Of course- even though time consuming- you could just clean his sand to use in your tank.

Anyone have any other suggestions on this deal I have to meet today. Main concern is the live rock having all the algae on it.

Thanks
Josh

joshpwolf said:
Anyone have any other suggestions on this deal I have to meet today. Main concern is the live rock having all the algae on it.

Thanks
Josh

The rock is fine. If you are going to cycle the 75 you do it with lights off and the algae won't grow. If there is still remains of it after you get thru cycle you can always get a lawnmower blenny and he will clean it up for you as well as your clean up crew.

If you are starting with a FOWLR, you are fine- but when you decide to go reef just rehome the Angels.

The rock is fine. If you are going to cycle the 75 you do it with lights off and the algae won't grow. If there is still remains of it after you get thru cycle you can always get a lawnmower blenny and he will clean it up for you as well as your clean up crew.

If you are starting with a FOWLR, you are fine- but when you decide to go reef just rehome the Angels.

As far as the fish how should I go about introducing them to the tank after the swap. I dont want them to die during this process. Would it be better for me to take them to my local fish store and hand them over. I have never bought a tank that was already developed.

joshpwolf said:
As far as the fish how should I go about introducing them to the tank after the swap. I dont want them to die during this process. Would it be better for me to take them to my local fish store and hand them over. I have never bought a tank that was already developed.

Do that- take them to your LFS and see if they will give you credit for something else you need

I would skip it. I can't see any pictures but if there is a lot of algae, you are asking for a battle from the start. You may want to "cook" the rock. This simply means putting it in a container void of light with a heater and a power head for a few months until all of the photosynthetic organisms have died off. I don't know why people call that "cooking"....
The lighting is old school and there have been many advances since then. I personally, wouldn't bother with them.

The sand bed can be washed out and reused.
How much live rock is in the tank?

oops....I'm a little late.

mr_X said:
I would skip it. I can't see any pictures but if there is a lot of algae, you are asking for a battle from the start. You may want to "cook" the rock. This simply means putting it in a container void of light with a heater and a power head for a few months until all of the photosynthetic organisms have died off. I don't know why people call that "cooking"....
The lighting is old school and there have been many advances since then. I personally, wouldn't bother with them.

Lol I do that all the time with the jeep forum I'm with

As others have suggested, you can always sell what you don't want. But I'm sure you won't regret getting a bigger tank. We're already regretting starting small and we're barely into it.
I second the advice to thoroughly rinse the sand instead of buying new 'live' sand. His sand will be much more live even after rinsing. And yeah, wish we'd cycled in the dark. Finally getting ahead of LR algae now (and it was never horrible) but it could have been avoided.

- D

mr_X said:

Approx 100 lb of rock

Back
Top Bottom