I just bought 5050 rgb led strips from ebay. Can i use this in my coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just made a custom canopy for my 135 tank that has 450 rgb LEDs in it. It is the strips. It looks really nice and it makes the tank so much brighter. Now my only question is I want to do some live rock coral and all that fun stuff but I don't know if that's going to be enough. Here are the Specifications:

Input Voltage: 12VDC
Input Current: 0-6A
Output Voltage: 12VDc
Output Current: 2A max each color
Connect Mode: Common Anode
Remote powered by 1x 3V CR2025 lithium battery
Working temperature: -20~60C
Work with 12VDC output power supply, DC plug dimension: 5.5*2.1mm

Transformer:
Brand New 100%
Type:12V 5A
Input: 100-240V AC 50/60Hz
Out put : 12V 5.0A
Out put adaptor : 5.5mm x 2.1mm
We will ship the suitable plug to you!!!

I am no lighting expert or math expert but it would be good to know the total wattage? Or what each led is? Most LED coral lights should be 3w each (that is individual pendants) if you have access to a par meter that will tell you of they have e ought par for corals. Hope this helps!

I was going to do the same thing. I'll follow along to see the progress. I think it will work. Even if you get 1/2 watt per you are still up there. Everyone talks about wattage. When its really about par! Look at someone who spends $1000 on some Radions and have to dim them down to 30%. Waste of money to me. I have $110 in my lights and I keep every kind of coral and get growth. I would buy two sets or three so you would have multiple colors on at once. Keep posting and post pics.

Just found this. Here is the link. http://christmascarolina.com/forums/lights/2469-current-loads-5050-strips-china.html

Now I am not sure if mine are from china but nowadays everything comes from china. SAD ?. Here is a summary of what it said....

I am seeing confusing information for all the eBay and China (Ray Wu) advertisements for 5050 strips. They all show this:

Working Voltage: 12VDC
LED Quantity: 150 leds/5 Meter
Working Current/meter: 1.2-1.25A
Output power: 36W /5 Meter

My calculations:

1.2A per meter times 5 meters equals 6A. 6A at 12V equals 72W. Where do they get 36W ? OR was the LED current wrong at 1.2A per meter ? Perhaps .6A per meter? Anybody know which one is right for the 30 LEDs per meter 5050 strips?

150 diodes divided by 36w = 0.24w per diode. That will barely penetrate the water. It's OK for fish, but won't support any type of coral.

Back
Top Bottom