I keep getting diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is really frustrating me at this point. The tank has been up since October 1. I was buying RO/Di water for top off and noticed diatoms within a day for a few months. I realized what t probably was (the stores water), so last week I purchased an RO/DI unit. I made about 4 gallons of "test" water and threw it out before making water I would use. The TDS meter indicates 0 coming on and 2xx coming in. Over the last few days, the diatoms have been crazy again. I have no idea what Im doing wrong or whats causing it. Over the last two weeks, I have added a new skimmer and two units of chemipure elite.

My guess would be your sand had a lot of silicates for some reason. I believe there are some phosphate medias that also absorb silicates, maybe give that a try.

What length of time do you leave your lights on for also what's your feeding routine is possible with my have to do one of those contributing towards it.

Lights ramp up for an hour and 15 minutes starting at 11:30AM, full ramp by 12:45PM. Ramp down at 5:30PM - 6:30PM. Blues until 10:30PM. Moonlight (1% royal blue and red) until 2:30AM, then off. I feed once or twice a day

can you shorten your photoperiod by 1 or 2 hrs? i believe it's more than you need. also, what are you feeding and the portion size?

100% diatoms. It wipes right off and sometimes just disappears overnight. Phosphats are less then .02

Phosphates and diatoms don't have anything in common. You are thinking silicates from the sand. If the sand is being disturbed somewhere in the tank, it could be the source of it.
In terms of it disappearing overnight, this isn't a diatom behavior I'm familiar with personally, but does sound like a light coating of cyano in this behavior.

Phosphates and diatoms don't have anything in common. You are thinking silicates from the sand. If the sand is being disturbed somewhere in the tank, it could be the source of it.
In terms of it disappearing overnight, this isn't a diatom behavior I'm familiar with personally, but does sound like a light coating of cyano in this behavior.

I don't believe it's cyano because it looks exactly like the diatom blooms when I started each tank. It's a 48x24x19.5" tank. The return pump is around 800gph and I have an MP40 running around 60% on the opposite side. All the rockwork is open and nothing is against any portion of the glass (as far as rocks).

Someone help!! LOL. WHat exactly causes diatoms?? Is it just silicates? I did a 20 gallon water change a few days ago. Rather then use my RO/DI unit, I bought boxed ocean water to see if it would make a difference. In the past, it has and I have not gotten any diatoms. It has not made a difference. They are still coming fast and furious!!

As far as I know silicates are the only thing that feed diatoms. Your not stirring up the sand are you?

Back
Top Bottom