Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarium
i know i already asked this but...........

what is need to start a 55gal SW tank...like filtration...do u need a filter? when i get it up and running i would llike to get aout of these fish..... clown..a yellow tang(if a 55 gal isnt to small) a yellow tail damselfish...a bicolor pseudochromis...a thread fin butterfly fish and a fridman pseudochromis.... iw ould like to put about 40-55lbs of LR...im not sure how much live sand i need can nay1 let me know? anyways....so what is needed to start a SW tank..the assentials etc...please help me put...i know i ask alot of question but i would just like to know my info before i get started..thanks alot

oh what is the food needed to feed those fish thanks alot

Old 10-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

By the sound of your post you need to do more research. I am not an expert myself but I think that would be too much livestock especially at the beginning. If you had a sump for extra water stability and waited a while you might be able to have that many fish but definitely not for a while. A good starter fish is a clownfish.
My best advice is to take it slow(I know it's hard) and read,read,read. HTH

Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, seriously you need to research this a lot more. You should try picking up any number of nice marine aquarium books. Anyway...

Quote:
what is need to start a 55gal SW tank...like filtration...do u need a filter?
I would say go with LR and a good protein skimmer.

Quote:
when i get it up and running i would llike to get aout of these fish..... clown..a yellow tang(if a 55 gal isnt to small) a yellow tail damselfish...a bicolor pseudochromis...a thread fin butterfly fish and a fridman pseudochromis....
All nice fish, however once you setup the tank, it will be about two months before you actually put fish in it. This is plenty of time to research. Also, you want to add fish one or two at a time.

Quote:
iw ould like to put about 40-55lbs of LR...im not sure how much live sand i need can nay1 let me know? anyways....
55lbs of LR would be considered close to the minimum for a 55g. Go for 75 if you can. For substrate, you will want about 60 to 100 pounds total, depending on the type.

Quote:
so what is needed to start a SW tank..the assentials etc...please help me put...
I presume you want this to be a reef eventually? The two most important things to start are patience and a lot of $$$. For basics, you need the tank, stand, powerheads (at least two), appropriate lighting for a 48 inch long tank (300 watts or higher), protein skimmer, glass tops, enough saltmix to make 100 gallons of saltwater, 55 pounds or more of live rock, tank cleaning tools, a bunch of high quality test kits... I am sure I am forgetting lots of stuff...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup just research, I recommend Saltwater Aquarium for dummies by Skomal, The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta, and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by fenner. Just don't get confused stick to one, and only one plan.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BTW change your name.... It is as original as .
Old 10-13-2004, 01:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to balasharkfreak Send a message via Yahoo to balasharkfreak
What brand and size powerheads do you guys suggest if I need two for a 55g?

Are 2 Maxi-Jet MP 1200 good enough or too much?

tia,
dan
2 Bala Sharks | 1 Aeneus Cory
3 Danios | 2 Platys

25g - planted
1 Leoporinus | 1 Rainbow | 1 Silver Molly
1 Gold Dojo loach | 1 Kuhli loach
1 Black Kuhli loach
1 Singapore shrimp | 1 Amano shrimp
1 Albino Cory | 1 Peppered Cory
1 Gold snai | 1 Black Racer snail

30g (empty - possible cichlid planted)
balasharkfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to aquarium
ok i have been doin alot of reaserch but i just like to ask questions...i already have a FW tank so i got some a lil experiance...and if u dontlike my name KISS MY *** cuz i can care less if its original or not SORRY DONTCARE
Old 10-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hey aquarium you are not going to get much help on this site if your gonna be a edit .

Watch the language
-Biggen
Old 10-13-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

EASYYY !!!!!!!! Its just a name...... What is in a name!!!!!

I love these things.........

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Kohan Bros.
Did you try using the "Getting Started" forum it has a lot of important steps to get you on your way with a saltwater aquarium.

Again Read as much as you can!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com