I know, I know...but alas, another lighting question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm pretty sure I've bored most of you with my constant barrage of lighting questions...but I have another one. Since I'm building my canopy DIY (just got the lumber tonight...nice pine too) I have the option of buying my lighting in segments. I'm going to buy some initial lighting, then the LR to kick the cycle, and then complete the lighting setup as I add cleaners and stuff when the cycle finishes. Here's the completed setup:

4x96 PC for Actinic/03 .+. 3x250w MH 10,000K

Now. The PCs will only actinic. So...here's the deal. My 4x96 PC setup will run me about $325(-ish). A single MH bulb setup will cost me approx $175(-ish). So, which should I do first...a MH bulb? Or the 4x96w PC? Which woud be better for the coraline and which for any coral hitchikers (assuming any survive)? I'm thinking I could save the most stuff by having the single MH (though I know it'll look darn funny 'til I finish the setup!) as opposed to the 4x96. But here's where you glorious people come into play ;) Which do you think? Thanks!

You should be able to do 4x96 for around $250.

$160 ($40 x4) for Bulbs
$70 ($35 x2) for Ballasts
$20 additional for sockets, clips and shipping.

I would still go the single MH route for now even though it will be noticeable on a 6ft tank. You can then get half of the actinics if you need to do it in steps.

astride13: See, that's what I was thinking, but I want the moisture-resistant endcaps...which just look like they are coated in rubber that fits over the bulb end...but they are like $20 a pop on hellolights. The price, when I included these, turned out to be $120 per 2-bulb set...so I figured I might as well just get the ballast kit they offer at $119, though it does _not_ come with bulbs. If anyone knows where I can get the moisture-resistant ones cheaper, do let me know!

Hmmm...
I can get 2 Fulham Workhorse 7s for about $75
4 Moisture-proof endcaps from marinedepot for $60
Bulbs...about 4 for $160 ...so total at about $295 .. saves me some money without sacrificing quality...I think I'll go that route. Still though, $295 for 4 96watt actinics, or about $175 for 250watts of 10,000K lighting. I'm kinda leaning towards the single MH...and I can add about one MH/week after that, so it'd be filled w/ MH in 2 weeks...wait another 2, get the PCs...and by the time they're installed and I've got the money for my cleaner crew, the cycle should've completed by then.

I'm picking up a 260W PC 48" setup from Aqualight at my LFS tomorrow for $190. Buitld in fans and 2 seperate on/off switches. I have a 24" aqualight and it's worked great so far.

Can't do a complete hood, as I'm building my own, so it all mounts directly into the 72" reflector, which already has 8 PC clamps and the 3 mogul sockets attached.

That's a pretty good price on that hood though. Good job on finding that! =]

Back
Top Bottom