I made a mistake, I think. I went to the lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macrosill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to a lfs and they had a some really nice reef tanks, no fish just corals and rock. I noticed the 50/50 cf above at about 5-6 watt/galand figured I would test my knowledge. I asked one of the workers there about the lights and a discussion started. About 20 minutes later I left the store and I figured I would get some input as to his "advice". 1st was becareful what you read online, anyone can post. I understand that but I believe there are truly helpful and knowledable people here, even though I know none of you personally. Then he said there is no such thing as a FOWL tank. It is either reef or not. You can not add corals after fish are in there. I questioned him and then he replied you can but it is much harder. You must add the lr and coral first then about 4 months later you can add some fish, possible a yellow tang. Then there was the fact that you should do a bare bottom reef or if you wanted to a dsb would suffice, atleast 4 inches. Also you only need 1lb of lr/gal. No need for any more. There also was alot off tanks with fw fish, pond fish and marine as well. They have tried everything and this is the best setup there is.

Well that is all I can remember, so what do you think?
Brian

1st was becareful what you read online, anyone can post
Actually, this is good advice. However, when info is obtained from reliable sources (such as AA), or your find consistant answers from site to site on a topic then it should be considered "good advice". Finding reputable forums sites is as important as finding a reputable LFS. Keep in mind...no one here is trying to sell you anything either. This is often a factor in advice given by LFS.
Then he said there is no such thing as a FOWL tank. It is either reef or not. You can not add corals after fish are in there.
Everything about this is wrong.
Then there was the fact that you should do a bare bottom reef or if you wanted to a dsb would suffice, atleast 4 inches.
BB tanks make cleaning easier and reduce the accumulation of NO3. Typically, a true DSB is 4-6inches.
Also you only need 1lb of lr/gal
I disagree with this as well. 1 lb/gal of LR is a very bare minimum, IMO. Of course it does depend on other filtration on the tank and bioload. In general, 1.5-2lbs/gal is much better. I personally do not keep any tanks with less then 2lbs/gal of LR.

There are many different ways to do things in this hobby. Many of which are acceptible. As I mentioned, use online sources and hold the consistant information as good advice.

1st was becareful what you read online, anyone can post

The guy at a LFS said the same thing when i told him i've been following advices from the internet. He's partially right, but as Lando said, the advices I get from this forum and other forums are confirmed by many aquarists. Plus, it's not like these guys on forums are trying to sell us anything, so i don't think they would give misleading advices to us.

There are many different ways to do things in this hobby. Many of which are acceptible. As I mentioned, use online sources and hold the consistant information as good advice.

So true. There are times when u will get completely dif./opposite advices on a single subject. That's when ur evaluation ability kicks in and u'll have to decide which advices u'll follow. Sometimes u make good choices sometimes u don't, but no matter what, u'll be more experienced the more stuff u try and see on ur own. Experiencing things give u far greater experience than just hearing them.

What I like about this site is the minute someone posts “wrong” information the more experienced are quick to correct it ;)

Where the "Be careful what you read on the internet" warning holds a lot of weight, is reading fish profiles from on-line retailers. They have the same interests as a LFS and will not always be the most accurate when telling you the requirements and precautions for a fish they are selling.

Generally, hobby focused sites that don't have a genuine interest in the betterment of the hobby and it's participants simply don't last long. The fact that a forum has a strong membership with many members having been active for multiple years, IMO, expresses the reliability of the forum and the information it's members provide. As tec pointed out, if someone posts something that is wrong, or even disagreed with as a matter of opinion, others will post their contrary remarks for discussion.

Personally, I place more weight on the information I can glean from these forums and other forums that don't have a financial motiviation than I do from most LFS or online retail sites.

JMO

The only bad advice I have seen on this site was quickly corrected by 5 followup post from different member correcting it. By saying
be careful what you read online, anyone can post
I think of the post on here recently with the on line fish store saying you could put regal tangs in 20 gallon tanks.

Remember that the guys at the store are hit or miss also. Soem know their stuff, some don't and some are in the middle and pretend to knwo more than they really do. YOu can't ever fully trust a LFS person unless they are telling you not to purchase something. They are all out to make money so for them that is typically what it all comes down to. So play it safe with those guys.

AA and other boards are really the best place to seek and give advice.

Back
Top Bottom