Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 05:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Am I likely to find "the conscientious marine aquarist" by robert fenner at the local Barnes and Nobel or should I just save myself a trip and get it from Amazon?

Also, even though I'm a LONG way from buying a flitration system, I wanted to see if I'm on the right track.

If I am understanding what I have read so far and based on my needs and experience level, I may go with something like an Eheim 2217 canister filter and a Red Sea's Prizm Pro protein skimmer. I like the Eheim just because I am using the 2215 right now on my 55gal fw.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or you could use the Berlin method which involves just lots of live rock, a deep sand bed and heavy protein skimming.

Cannister filters tend to be avoided by lots of reefers because if you don't clean them very frequently then they end up throwing nitrates back into the system. And if you have lots of rock then you don't even need them.

From what I've read so far the favourite skimmer is the Aqua C Remora, although I have a Prism, since it's hard to get Remoras in the UK, and it does an adequate job.

Old 05-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I didn't find The Conscientious Marine Aquarist in my Barnes & Noble. I bought it (and the other book I recommended in my other post) at Amazon.com, and got free shipping.

Also like I said in my other post, I'm still deciding about SW right now. (so someone with more experience should chime in about filtration, lol).

Most people use live rock and sand for filtration in a SW tank. Canister filters are generally not used in a SW tank as they are in FW. If you had one already, you could use it for water movement, and not worry about filling the media baskets. You need more water movement in a SW tank than in FW. You could use the canister in conjunction with a powerhead.

You could use the canister's baskets for running carbon too. But most people seem to use their carbon in the sump.

So if you already have a canister, it won't go to waste. But I don't know if I'd buy one specifically for SW if I didn't already have one.

I haven't looked at any skimmers, but the AquaC Remora gets lots of good reviews here.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another great option for getting started is to get the Emperor 400 hang on the back filter from Marineland. You can find ot on the internet for about $60. It is a very good system. I had it on my 40 gal. reef and it did a great job. IMO, it is the best backpack style filter available. it incoorperates mechanical, boilogical and chemical filtration all in one unit. Worth a look.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Another great option for getting started is to get the Emperor 400 hang on the back filter from Marineland. You can find ot on the internet for about $60. It is a very good system. I had it on my 40 gal. reef and it did a great job. IMO, it is the best backpack style filter available. it incoorperates mechanical, boilogical and chemical filtration all in one unit. Worth a look.
What other filtration do you use in conjunction with the Emporor?

www.macna2006.com
Old 05-30-2004, 09:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
[quote="Atari"]
Cannister filters tend to be avoided by lots of reefers because if you don't clean them very frequently then they end up throwing nitrates back into the system. And if you have lots of rock then you don't even need them.
quote]

When a tank becomes well established, alot of people simply take out the carbon and run the canister filter without it. That way you keep the water flowing quite well and the extra hose and the volume of the canister increase the amount of water in your system.

Canister Filters are nice because they can handle a larger fish load then HOB filters. A good idea with SW because alot of people tend to overstock a SW tank. Just be sure to clean the filter on a regular basis.

If you decided to go with a canister style filter, get one that is rated for a tank at least twice your size. Bigger is always better.

I like canister filters, but thats just one mans opinion.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes the emporer 400 is very good for the money, I use one for carbon. You just have to rinse the cartidges with fresh water every week or two. This prevents bacteria buildup in the media so it does not produce nitrates...or you could not rinse it and use it to suppliment your lr at the start. Just watch, they will make some nitrates, but this is not really an issue unless you want a reef tank. Nitrates can get pretty darn high before it is toxic to fish, say 80+.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

when I was using my Emperor 400 the only other filtration I was using was LS and LR. Kept everything in check. Amonia, nirites, nitrates where all at zero for the majority of the time.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another question: In freshwater, people have mostly gotten away from using UG filters as they are not really necessary given current filter technology.

With DSB, is an undergravel or similar filter used?

www.macna2006.com
Old 05-31-2004, 07:15 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

some people use a ugf with cc. Most (me included)will advise against it. the ugf will not work with sand, it would be pulled through and not work. I think that the ugf traps detritus underneath and causes a rise in nitrates. I used to have on in my 30 gal, and had a constant battle with nitrates. I removed it, did a couple of large water changes, and the nitrates are much lowar and easier to control.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com