I might be Stupid but I need some reassurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredcabintoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok its been about a month and a half. My current setup is
75 gallon tank
20lbs of live rock :(
80lbs of live sand
30 lbs of other sand
Fluval 405
Protein Skimmer marineland

My problem I think: Im pretty new at this so I thought it just makes sense. I knew that I had to cycle the tank so to help my tank cycle by adding 3 large raw shrimp and a full both of chemical cycle I forget the exact name. Well it been about a month and a half now im stuck.
ammonia spiked and went down
nitrite went up i think and went down
nitrate did not budge have tested regularly to see if it changed but nothing.
Starting off with a alot of things to break down wouldnt it only make sense that it would produce alot of beneficial bacteria for my tank. Ive lost a fish already i dont think because of my water levels. It came with some sort of disease that somehow eat away his flesh. I need some advice because I dont know what to do or if anything is even wrong.

Ok, no stupid question there at all they sound pretty good for a newer person who wants to do things the right way.
Can you post specific test results?
The shrimp should have been enough to cycle the tank with out the other chemical....
You probably want to shoot for more rock, you can add base rock to save some cash.
Get us those numbers and we can go from there.

ok as far as numbers go ill give them here:
ph- 8.6
Specific Gravity- 1.022
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-0 ( i know this should be increasing until a water change is needed, but its not budging.)
let me know of more numbers that could be useful for you

Have you done any water changes yet? If not, I'd find it hard to believe the nitrates are zero.

And I agree, you need to get that rock added. 1 to 1.5 lbs minimum per gallon for better reef tanks. Might wanna think the rock addition out so you know if you're gonna deal with cured or uncured rock before you think about adding more fish as uncured rock might re-cycle the tank.

Austin, im telling you no water changes and nitrate has never risen ive tested for 3 weeks now and nothing but I will try to today and see what the levels are. i still have time till i get fish because one of my dads friends is moving and giving away all his live rocks:) lucky me I know but i hope I have enough to fill this tank.

I'd be suspecting the test kit at this point. What kind? Try taking a water sample to the lfs to check.

So the new rocks are from an established tank? How much you getting?

OK your stupid its confirmed. LOL just joking interesting thread title :-D Just wanted to say welcome to AA. It sounds to me like your tank never cycled and you need a better ammonia source. Some half dead live rock should jump start things a bit since you need it anyway. Just to be sure I would buy a Salifert Nitrate test kit its accurate down to 1ppm where most other kits just go from 5ppm to 0ppm

I have the saltwater master test kit, and as far as not having a good ammonia source... i dont understand how 3 large raw shrimp and a full bottle of cycle formula wasnt enough? But live rocks that will be given to is still unknown as far as how many lbs i will be getting. Is it because I dont have enough live rock it didnt cycle?

I am thinking the combo of "bio spira" or "fast cycle" chem you used may be throwing things out of whack when you added the shrimp.
Can you get us the name of the chem you used?

If you used 3 shrimp and they dissolved, I think you have a testing issue.
As suggested by austinsdad, take a water sample to your LFS and see what they get.

Back
Top Bottom