I need a equipment list for 55 gal tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have heard all you need to start with is a skimmer, good rock, a good sand bed, couple power heads and you are good as long as you don't overload your tank.

Is this correct? The tank was free and so is some sand and a stand. What hardware would you recommend?

I would LOVE to stay under $400 on my hardware...crap, I forgot lighting...ok, forget the lighting for now. $400 for everything else to run my system.

What do I need?
Equipment list and brands would be nice if you have the time to help, thanks.

Here is a group of products that would get you off to the right start for basic corals. I used my prices and 6% AA.com discount. There is no pressure to buy from me; just trying to answer the question and hold your budget.

Coralife 48" aqualight 4-65 watts $198

AquaC Remora $163.95

(2) Maxi jet 1200 powerheads $42

Visi therm 200 watt heater $21

$424.95 Minus 6% discount $399.45 plus shipping

I think for the time being I am going to stay FOWLR.

Fluff mentioned the AC Remora as well.

How do you know how much heat or how much power in a heater you need?

Thanks for the input Darin
:)

That's a nice package Darin!

Sdveirs - The tank size really determines the wattage of the heater. If the heater is too small, it will have to work overtime to heat the tank, which may burn itself out eventually. let us know what size it is. I would even get 2 of them in case one of them sticks as it happened to me recently. Thank goodness for 2 of them!

Mike

I tend to take the uber patient, understocked approach, but here is my set-up for a 55 (this is what I actually have)

55 tank
Heater
2 powerheads
Mag 7 pump (for closed loop circulation)
HOB whisper 5 filter (just movement and occasional Carbon bags)
2x24" Coralife 2x65 PC light fixtures (same as suggested above, just two seperate units)

thats all I've got. I don't have a skimmer, but I'm also running a very lightly stocked tank.

The only other piece of equip I have that you WILL need, is an RO or RO/DI filter. They are a must for SW tanks, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom