I need a price estimate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone give me a rough estimate or range on how much a 75 gallon reef tank with all the necessary equipment will cost? This does not include any decoration/fish/corals, just the man made equipment needed. A list of each item needed with an avg price would be very helpful.

I am pretty much starting from scratch and dont have any equipment at the moment.

Also how much live rock would you recommend for a 75 gallon reef and how much would that cost?

Just want to know other users experiences so i know im not getting ripped off.

Thanks

I spent about $1000 on my 75g and it doesn't even have a sump or protein skimmer....it also doesn't have great lights but it's only a fowlr... I hope that gives you an estimate..

The lights and the live rock are really the biggest items as far as price. Try to get the live rock off of craigslist, the lights can be eBay or craigslist too.

I spent about $1000 on my 75g and it doesn't even have a sump or protein skimmer....it also doesn't have great lights but it's only a fowlr... I hope that gives you an estimate..

The lights and the live rock are really the biggest items as far as price. Try to get the live rock off of craigslist, the lights can be eBay or craigslist too.

Woah, that's hefty man... I would DEFINETLY scan craigslist patiently until you see that great deal because I have seen fully established tanks with everything for 75G less than that but again its all about how patient you are

Yeah it is hefty....I bought everything new because I'm stupid.... I could've gotten a tank from craigslist, but it would've been WAY to difficult taking it apart and taking it all home. I would've needed to rent a truck, then get help and all that, but when I upgrade idc and I'm going to do that lol.

Woah, that's hefty man... I would DEFINETLY scan craigslist patiently until you see that great deal because I have seen fully established tanks with everything for 75G less than that but again its all about how patient you are

How reliable is craigslist tho?
What if someone sells a 75G for a good price but the tank or the equipment is faulty?
Is there any protection against scams like this on craigslist?

Yeah it is hefty....I bought everything new because I'm stupid.... I could've gotten a tank from craigslist, but it would've been WAY to difficult taking it apart and taking it all home. I would've needed to rent a truck, then get help and all that, but when I upgrade idc and I'm going to do that lol.

Dont worry i did the same thing. Paid even more for a brand new 47 gallon at my LFS. That included everything though and they set it up for me which was very convenient.

Matman1110 said:
What if someone sells a 75G for a good price but the tank or the equipment is faulty?

There is no protection unless you're a really big, mean looking guy lmao. You just have to make sure everything works. Take your time to check all the pieces of equipment and visually inspect the tank and all the seams.

There is no protection unless you're a really big, mean looking guy lmao. You just have to make sure everything works. Take your time to check all the pieces of equipment and visually inspect the tank and all the seams.

I dont know, i dont think i would be comfortable buying a tank from craigslist unless i actually saw the tank functioning/full with water and fish before i bought it.

I mean how much would it suck if you bought the tank, had to transport it yourself to your home, set it all up and filled it with water and the next day
you wake up to find your living room floor flooded. Now youve just spent a lot of money hauling a heavy item just for it to do damage to your home with clean up duties to follow. All this because you missed that one itty bitty crack in the tank that the owner forgot to mention.

Most of the tanks that are being sold in my area are fully running and you have to dismantle it and remove the water yourself so you'd know it holds water. Even if it was just the tank, I'd make the seller fill it with water before I went, so I'd know that it does indeed hold water.

I've been in the process of setting up my 55 gallon. It's going to cost me like $1200. Things are more expensive in Australia, but you'd be looking at paying at the absolute minimum $800 I reckon, even if you do score a bargain.

You also have to remember a lot of the cost does come from the livestock as well. You'll easily pay well over $100 for the live rock you'll need.

Matman1110 said:
2What if someone sells a 75G for a good price but the tank or the equipment is faulty?

If you do buy from CL be sure to inspect the braces of larger tanks. If the tank is not indoors and in use, a lot of folks store their tanks outside. I've seen a lot of tanks sitting outside with plastic braces/trim in bad shape because of the summer heat and uv damage to the plastic.

I learned the hard way when I got my 125g for $50. Plastc brace was cracking and snapped into pieces when I got home. Ended up replacing the brace with aluminum and is working out fine now.

Just make sure to inspect everything and ask how long it's been sitting outside if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom