Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I've used "www.aquaticisland.com" a couple times now. They have great prices and new customers get a freebie pack as well. The margarita snails they ship are fairly large.

They appear to be sold out right now. Might drop them a line and get on the wait list.

Yeah Cyano is a pain. I know, I had it about a year ago in my old 55g and it was a PAIN.

LIGHTS... What type of lights do you have? Have you changed the bulbs recently? That is something everyone always forgets to check. Typically your higher end lights will go anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on your model. I'm pushing 1 year with my 260 watts now and starting to see some growth myself I'm not fond of seeing.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to TKEON230
One problem I may have stumbled upon by reading other threads is that my tank may be too stagnant. In the 40 gallon tank that I have I calculated that I had about a 400 gph turnover rate. Today I added a second powerhead to bring the turnover rate up to 560 gph. Though, with the additional powerhead it seems as if my tank has turned into a whirlpool compared to what it was before. But compairing it with tanks I've seen at my LFS it is the norm. I guess the sixline will need to adjust.

As far as lighting is concerned I have a 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Light with 1 blue actinic bulb and 1 10000K bulb. I run them about 11 hours a day (8-7) and last replaced the bulbs about 9 months ago.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEON230
As far as lighting is concerned I have a 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Light with 1 blue actinic bulb and 1 10000K bulb. I run them about 11 hours a day (8-7) and last replaced the bulbs about 9 months ago.
This is also contributing to the bloom. Those light sound like they are about ripe for changing. I would also reduce your light cycle. I run mine 8 hours a day.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Roka which ones would you replace first? Blue Actinic or the While 10k
Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

It does not really matter I would replace them all. I agree with Roka, replace them.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to TKEON230
I've replaced the bulbs in the lights (boy do they look brighter now) and I've done a couple water changes. I've also added some more snails to help eat everything up. The bottom looks a lot whiter and the rocks are starting to clear up. I've done a PO4 test of the tank itself and it came out 0. The next time I make new saltwater I'll test that as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a good start to a lovely clean up job.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKEON230
I've done a PO4 test of the tank itself and it came out 0. The next time I make new saltwater I'll test that as well.
Two things:
1. I have found phosphates tend to show up VERY low to 0, when cyano is present. I think it eats it so fast that it show low readings on my Seachem test.
2. I would test both your tap water and premixed SW for phosphates. If you are seeing them in your tap, there won't be much you can do. Maybe look into a RO/DI unit.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Roka it is 9:24PM Mtn time on Monday the 15th, your sig shows Wed 17@7:31 how is that? Tkeon said in the first post that they had a RO/DI, it seems that things are coming under control
Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I didn't see in any of the post about siphoning out as much of the cyano when you do your water changes. I get a bit of it in 2 places in my tank both of which have low water flow, so when I do my water changes I make sure to siphon it off the rock in those 2 areas. I'll just add my voice in the PWCs best thing in the world. Make sure to check that tap water and even the water coming out of your RO/DI unit. If you only have one fish left in the tank I would only feed every other day and as little as you can get away with until you get things under control. Cutting the lights back will help a lot, 11 hours is a bit much. We all love to look at our tanks but night time is good for the tank too! Good luck!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com