I NEED FISHY ADVICE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First off, I just started my tank about two weeks ago and am now trying to decide which fish to float :D. It is a 55 gallon with about 40 lbs of base rock and will have about 20 more lbs of live rock tomorrow. I want to see what you all think. I want to start with a small school of Green Chromis. After they cycle the tank and get going (alive I hope) I want a couple of clowns of course. After that I am stumped. What really entices me is these three fish, a Niger Trigger, any type of Lion, or some type of puffer. I know all three would not fit. Would either two of the three go well in a 55 gallon and not kill each other and/or the clowns and chromis. I want some personality fish. Also, this doesn't seem too overcrowded does it? Just throw me some ideas. Thanks.

Well, for one thing, those fish are both large and have bad attitudes. Lionfish have to be fed goldfish, which are about the same size as chromis. Niger Triggers are just mean, and puffers to emmense damage with ther beak. Some suggestions for this tank are
Angels (dwarf or somewhat small)
almost any type of goby (sleepers are a little hard unless you have a very deep coral bed)
Firefish
Fairy Wrasses
Anthias
Some types of butterflies
tangs
many more
andall types of inverts

Of course you cant have all these, but some.
Good Luck

How many in your small school of chromis?

Im assuming you mean a pair of clowns.

So let say that is 3 chromis and 2 clowns. The chromis get 2-3" and the clowns 3-4"

This comes very close to maxing our your 55 gal tank already. I would say only 1 more medium sized 4-6" fish and that would be the absolute MAX I would put in a 55.

Also not to add all these fish at once.

Yea, thanks for the advice so far. By no means wasa I going to add them all at once. Slow and steady. I just want something with a little color and personality.

it is also recommended to cycle your tank with a piece of shrimp from the market instead of live animals...much mor humane.

What is your base? Sand, crushed coral? If you used live sand, I used 60lbs in my 55 and the tank was instantly cycled. If this is the case you could pretty much start out with any fish that you feel comfortable with.

It sounds like your a begininer, so here is a bit of advice. Start with some basic fish like damsels, clowns, dottyback, etc. You will find that they are relatively hardy and will eat flake food. Starting with fish that require special diets or feeding habits may be a bit of a task. First get use to the biology end of the tank, then get invloved with specialized fish, you will find that it is a much more enjoyable hobby because you will have less failure.

Good Luck :D

Lionfish have to be fed goldfish

That is totally incorrect. In fact, a diet of goldfish is harmful. (how many goldfish do you see in the ocean?) Many lionfish eat frozen foods. Also, a lionfish is an ok candidate for a 55 gallon. There are many species available to the hobbiest.

puffers to emmense damage with ther beak

That is a broad generalization. Many puffers can be kept in a 55 gallon tank with no problems whatsoever. The Valentini comes to mind.

My 55 gallon contains a volitan lion, a marine betta, a clarkii clown, and up until recently, a puffer as well. Everyone got along just fine. Your chromis may end up as snack food for the lion though.

oooooooooo.. niger trigger.. nice fish... chromis will definately be eaten by the lion.. even a small lion.. i had a dwarf lion.. 2-3".. ate two or three of my damsels.. but that is because he was hungry.. if you can get it to eat, and keep it full, then it will probably lay off the chromis..

Thanks. I was definatly going to start off slow. I am just kinda planning I guess. I did start with live sand, 40 lbs, and once the tank is leveled out I am going with the chromis. Maybe the clowns and a little puffer would be a good match if I established the tank and added the puffer or a Niger Trigger later??? Thanks for all the advice.

Just for info, I've had two Niger Triggers in the past that were fine with my clowns. The Niger was there first so maybe he was easier going that way. They will tear up snails and hermits though and love to rearange the tank substrate and rock if he can.

I would definatley wait a while after adding that live rock before adding any fish. There will undoubtatly be some die off leading to an ammonia spike that will kill many fish. Buy a test kit and watch the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom