I need help and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TamDuncan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok here's what's going on a friend of yours, who is in the military, is moving and gave us their 36 gallon aquarium. Originally I was going to get just the tank and equipment and turn it into a freshwater tank, but they couldn't find a home for the saltwater fish. So I now have 2 clownfish, three hermit crabs, a fire fish Goby and a blue Damsel (that changes color). Oh and discovered a skinny looking star fish that the owners didn't know about...lol

I have experience in freshwater tanks but know nothing about saltwater, other than what I've been learning last night (just got the tank yesterday). I was hoping I could get some help/advice from the experts here. I would love to keep them and try saltwater but I've been reading it's really hard work. So is it really and what is the weekly maintenance like and is it true I have to do daily water checks? I know it will be work in the beginning but is it laws ya lot of work or will it be enjoyable?

The tank is very bare it just has sand and three live rock and one rock seems to have mushroom like things growing on it. Which I read is normal for live rock. If we keep the tank we are going to go with the live rock and fake coral look. With the tank centered around the clown fish.

Any help or advice would be great, thank you all :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Weekly water changes of 10% are a must to keep the nitrate levels in check. Get yourself a cheap API liquid test kit so you can keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Tests don't have to be daily...I haven't done any on my tank in months, but I know my system very well after 2 years of it running.

Only 10%, that's not bad at all. Yea we are going to be getting a test kit too. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom