Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to InxayonFinland
I Need Help... BAD!

Well right now i have 5 margarita snails, 2 scarlet reef hermit crabs, one cleaner shrimp and i still need stuff to help clear out my 12 nano cube with algae. Can anyone help me decide on what to get? I really need something that will eat hari algae and some brown algae on the rock. Thanks a million!

InxayonFinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Maybe checking your phosphates, reducing your light cycle or killing your lights for a day or so would help. Might have to scrub some off as well.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yep, I fully agree with ellisz. You may find that nothing will touch the hair algae, it may need to be removed by hand and kept at bay by controlling your NO3 and PO4 levels. try and rid it by hand and cut back your lighting a little.

What are your NO3 and PO4 readings, out of curiosity?

You may find that astrea snails and blue-legged hermits might help though.
If your phosphates are indeed high, cut back on your feeding and look into some phosphate remover. The phosphate removers, such as phosban, rowaphos etc, are only bandaids....the best remedy is to reduce the introduction of phosphates all together.

edited to add a couple more suggestions.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
you need to find the soure of the algae.. what kind of water do you use? have you tested the new water as well as tank water for phosphates and nitrates? post numbers.
you should not over load the tank with a cleaning crew, they may not eat the problem algae and just starve over time. how old is the tank and what type of lighting.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
If PO4 is shown as the main cause, perhaps you should look into a RO/DI unit or purchasing bottled water.
I Am The End.
DeathWarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com