Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gorgeous!!!!!!! Also what should I do for lighting? I really wasn't trying to spend 200$ on lights :/

Old 05-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are Aiming for a reef then be prepared to spend a bit o cash on lights. Don't do what I did, buy cheap lights, upgrade them, then realise 4 months later I should have gone LED and upgraded again : / those taotronics are the way to go, can't remember how much they are...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #13

They were 199 on eBay with 15$ shipping! The only thing is do you just put them on the too of your tank or. ? cuz you've seen the top of mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-215597285.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	176018
Old 05-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are hung usually I think, I dont actually have those ones (I live in Australia and we can't get those ones here) most aquarium lights can either be hung or come with mounts to sit on top of the tank. I would get these ones if I were you, the cheaper option is t5 (probably 4 for your tank) that's what I used to have but I had a problem with heat and also you need to change the bulbs every 8 months which over time (even one year later) you could have bought the LEDs and not had problems with heat or replacement bulbs and better for your electricity bill too
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Australia ay? I've always wanted to go there! I live in NY and don't have much ocean where I'm from, so I have to tank it up to fulfill my love for fish and the oceans ! But I will get those lights , but is it something I need like soon or can I hold off
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will need some kind of light when you introduce fish (so they can see food) but this light can wait until you get corals... I have always wanted to go to NY so there you go!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #17

I mean I have natural light in my room will that work for feeding and also it will be like 4-5 months before coral and anemones are added anyways correct?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to wait for corals and particularly anemones so you can get the hang of things, water changes, maintenance. Anemones particularly need stable water conditions so most recommend waiting 6months to a year. It's a good idea to test regularly and keep a record of it so you can see how your tank stables out. Once you are seeing consistent results you will be ready. After the cycle record tests for temp, salinity, amm, nitrite and nitrates. Try and keep regular routines for feeding and PWC and if it has not been mentioned already use ro-di water so you don't have any problems down the track with phosphates and algae. When you start introducing corals there a few other things to test for too... Always ask questions here, it is so helpful!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

Wow thanks for all the Info! You'll be my new best friend when it comes to Tanks ! So much to learn!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Haven't taken a full tank shot for ages! This is it today...
Awesome set up!!! Is that a puffer up front middle/right? And do they do ok with corals and anemones?

Tags
begginer, egg

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com