Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that is a great analogy. I live in MN...it just snowed 21in last week. While my golden retriever loves to play outside he always wants to come in. He prefers the couch to the elements.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #32

Sad that people really believe that RO/DI is the be all, end all to aquarium keeping.. And that reading has becoming an issue as well.. In the quote you so graciously took from my above statement, Its firmly says, "UNLESS YOUR WATER HAS STUFF THAT CAN"T BE CORRECTED BY A WATER CONDITIONER" Which in turn would mean, "YES RO/DI WOULD BE USEFUL" Sorry for not having spelt it out..

As for long term, Funny.. In over 20+ years in the hobby I've never needed it.. Nor has some aquarians I have come acrossed in my travels as well..

RO/DI helpful, "YES".. Needed.. "No" not always.. and by no means is it a standard.. It being a standard is nothing more than an opinion.. As is my statements..

But hey, the vast majority of this hobby can be viewed as opinionated as well as trial and error.. Just because something is right for one doesn't need its right for another.. We all have opinions, its what others chose to do with them that matters..

In end to this rebuttal.. Not one thing should be labeled as you must do this and must do that or have this and have that.. If that was the case then I could easily come on here and say.. Everyone who is venturing into Saltwater "MUST" have a tank larger than 55gal." But that is not the case, nor is it accurate.. Its just an opinion.. So Disagree on.. Thats why we're all here, so everyone can get all the facts and pick and chose from all the info gathered and make their decisions based on what they've learned from more than one source.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #33

when im curing live rock in my aquarium i still do all the procedures like water changes and stuff?? is it possible to get 12 lbs live rock and 60 lbs base rock?

can i get different types of clown fish? like 2 percula and another clown?

ok since i cant move out yet i have to explain to my rents what im going to do and how im gonna do it. they already know i want a saltwater tank and i got the ok so this or next weekend they r taking me to go get my tank, by then i wil have all my books so i can learn everything i need. then i get the live and base rock???(and sand) since im cureing them in my tank i wont need the skimmer for ahwile?what kind of lighting would i get for the tank and the stuff im going to have in it?

i still havent asked about cooling/heating so what should i do for that, currently i have a freshwater 20-30 gallon heater but i dont think that will work??

besides inverts have i skipped nething??
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sad that people really believe that RO/DI is the be all, end all to aquarium keeping.. And that reading has becoming an issue as well.. In the quote you so graciously took from my above statement, Its firmly says, "UNLESS YOUR WATER HAS STUFF THAT CAN"T BE CORRECTED BY A WATER CONDITIONER" Which in turn would mean, "YES RO/DI WOULD BE USEFUL" Sorry for not having spelt it out..
Wow, sorry you took offense to that. Seems pretty silly to me. I was only suggesting that there is no tap water conditioner that I know of that will remove PO4, NO3, lead, copper, other heavey medals, TDS and the like. All of these are present in tap water, well or treated. I am glad you have enjoyed success without the use of an RO/DI unit. I am just here to offer alternatives to make people's fish-keeping experience as easy as possible. Using the cleanest water possible for your tank and it's inhabbitants IS the standard. As aquarists we are charged with the task of providing the optimal enviorment, not the minimal one.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #35

So what your insuating, is that an environment without RO/DI is not optimal? That would just be naive.. I'm sure the ocean has an RO unit attached.. Heh.. As for your claim that PO4, NO3, lead, copper, and other metals being found in all tap water.. Thats not entirely true.. Had you done research, like you oh so repetitively preach, you would know this.. As well as the detoxification of heavy metals via certain water conditioners.. People need to practice what they preach.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
ive actually done 3 saltwater tanks my first 2 i didnt have the benefit of using ro/di i didnt notice any difference i guess my local water system had little to none of p04 and n03
Old 03-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Marty,

As Paul said (pkremer), you're gonna run into problems in this hobby, and you're gonna spend much more than you ever originally anticipated in spending. I think spending $100 for a RO unit is worth it (but not mandatory) and will eventually go unnoticed in your running tally of SW purchases over your span in the hobby.

Ryan
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #38

can i start out just using tap water conditioner then mayb after everything is set up change to the ro/di filter?

and what kind of light and fixture should i get?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:08 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
can i start out just using tap water conditioner then mayb after everything is set up change to the ro/di filter?
Sure can.

As far as lights, this can get expensive so you need to decide what you want to keep coral wise. If you want to have no limitations, go metal halide. If you want to keep costs down and still keep some corals, power compacts are worth checking into. Coralife make nice light fixtures, and now also have a PC/MH combo for a good price. Thats what I would get if it were me. http://www.hellolights.com/coaqprohcf.html
Old 03-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So what your insuating, is that an environment without RO/DI is not optimal?
Not exactly. What I am saying is that RO/DI water helps getting toward your goal of an optimal environment.
Quote:
I'm sure the ocean has an RO unit attached..
Correct me if am wrong, as I am sure you will, but I think the ocean has a slightly higher water volume then most home tanks. As I am sure you know, the more water volume the more stable it is. The ocean does a much better job at absorbing impurities in the water then does any home tank. As I mentioned earlier we should all strive to put the cleanest water possible into our tanks. Show m a better way of doing this then using RO/DI water.
Quote:
People need to practice what they preach
I practice using RO/DI water and I preach using RO/DI water.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com