I need help starting an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just a FYI if you get the walmart 55 gal tank... do not drill the tank... the whole tank is tempered glass... I found out the hard way :(

Over flow box is the way to go with that tank... good luck..

your getting some good advice so keep doing you rhomework and take things slow..

PS.... RO/DI water rules!!!

There should be a law that requires tank manufactures to put a label stating the bottom is tempered! Most respectable tank companies do but the Walmart tank was probably made in china.

should i QUICKLY draw up a picture of the sump im planning on getting just to make sure i have everything down?

right now i dont have a job but this weekend im gonna start working(and making money!!!) REALLY excited about getting started

i looked for a gfci and the only one i found had only 2 plug ins on it can i hook up a surge protector to that?

and if i draw that how do i attacgh it to the forum?

just a FYI if you get the walmart 55 gal tank... do not drill the tank... the whole tank is tempered glass... I found out the hard way

Hmm, that would explain my problem I had then. I was trying to use a 10 gallon that I got from Walmart as a fuge attached to the sump for my 90 gallon. I had the tank drilled thru the end panel at the glass shop. The hole gave the glass guy trouble and came out really ragged. So bad that they didn't even charge me for it. Sure enough after I got everything all connected and running it developed a bunch of cracks. A real mess to get my mud back out of it and all. Now replaced with rubbermaid and working much better. I thought tempered glass tended to shatter with drilling. Is that not true?

you only NEED one actual GFCI outlet. You then just plug your powerstrip into it and you're protected on each of the powerstrip outlets.

yea i got that figured out :oops: (took me ahwile)lol

and how much did the 55 gallon tank and stand from walmart cost?? im going to head on over there tonight

im going to start a new forum tomorrow about stocking my aquarium and my different onptions

thanks!

i bought an ro/di unit of ebay for only 134 bucks:D but im going to hook it to a metal pipe into a faucet does this affect the water quality when it comes in contact with metal?

marty_wolff said:
im going to hook it to a metal pipe into a faucet does this affect the water quality when it comes in contact with metal?
Not at all since the hookup is before it goes through ro/di which would remove any metals from the water if present.

does anyone have nething to say on the subject of me getting a yellow tang?

they need lots of swiming room. I wouldn't suggest it. You could, but maybe not for the long term.

ok i have a 55 gal. aquarium so i htink i will skip on them, what other kind of fish would you recomend to go with 2 clownfish,i havent made my mind up on what kind.

Get a midas blenny for the yellow color. Then, go for a shrimp goby and pistol shrimp. Make sure your rocks are planted on the tank bottom - not on top of the sand only. Then, maybe consider a pair of neon blue cleaner gobies. Funny, I always answer these types of questions with suggestions to make other's tanks just like mine.

Have you seen the yellow eyed kole tang? Or a bimini (I think thats right)? Both bristletooth family, smaller, and will keep hair algae in check.

I have a YT in a 55 gal that is currently close to 5” (was 3” when I got him) and it seems quite happy swimming the total length of the tank. IMO a 4’ 55 gal tank is the minimum for a YT, and would recommend purchasing a smaller 3” tang if you do get one. They do require fresh seaweed daily (about a 2”-3” strip on a clip) and will also eat frozen/flake.

Hara’s site breaks down all the fish that would work well with a 55 gal tank.

I’d try to stick to around a total adult length of 11”-14” max for your sized tank and stick to “reef safe” fish which should get along with your clowns. I’d also avoid aggressive or predator fishes. Check the saltwater compatibility charts also.

could i get any type of lion or angel fish?
im looking at saltwaterfish.com and i will just list fish i would like( i couldnt find all the info for them) im still going to get the yellow tang so i dont know how many more fish i can get
-Vermiculated Angelfish
-Orangeback Basslet
-Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish
aslo wanted tomata clowns but they cant be put with other clowns?

Which lion fish were you considering? The Volitan Lionfish gets huge and is a very messy eater needing a strict pwc schedule along with excellent filtration and is not “reef safe” (or small fish safe for that matter) The Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish is ok for a 55 gal but still not “reef safe” and limits your tank mates.

Those particular Angel & Butterfly fish are not the best fish for starting out with. Both require a more mature tank IMO and specialized small feedings often 2-3 times a day.

”tank raised” Tomato Clownfish would be ok with most other tank raised clowns. The Maroon Clownfish is the most aggressive and I wouldn’t house it with any other clowns.

The Orangeback Basslet would be ok. Interesting fish list, you could achieve similar colors with something like the Spotted Cardinalfish, Carpenter's Wrasse, or Yellow Watchman Goby for some examples. liveaquaria.com has a pretty good list for beginners.

All are fairly easy fish for a newly set up tank. Only stock one a month at a time to give your tank time to adjust to the bio-load.

ive checked that website out and it looks pretty sweet! ive always wanted a sea horse but never thought it was possible to get one. how hard is it to raise them(Brazilian Reidi seahors

otherwise, you said that tank raised clowns get along? before i knew that they were agressive to other species i wanted 2 percula clowns, 2 tomato clowns, and 2 true sebae clowns

but there isnt any mind of angel or butterfly fish that would work?

whats the max amount of starfish i could eventually get?

marty_wolff said:
I only want 1 or 2 clownfish and a few anonymes ( or if there is other plants that clownfish prefer)
Funny how 1 or 2 turns to 6 :lol: Of course you are getting up there for tank size with that many clowns and would need a 75+ gal tank. It’s your money ;)

The link I provided does have a few angels and butterfly fish that could work in larger tanks. Most are more moderate to care for and should be avoided until more experience is aquired.

As far as starfish go you want to avoid just about all the starfish on this list with the exception of the Serpent & Brittle starfish if you ever plan on making this a reef tank. Housing one for starting is only recommend once your tank is 6+ months old and more mature/stabilized. They need near perfect water conditions to thrive with <2.5 ppm no3 and 0 nh3/no2 at all times and do not tolerate swings in ph/sg at all. A long 3+ hours drip acclimation is highly recommended as well.
After a couple of months you could add one more but personally I wouldn’t get more then two due to them competing for food.

Even then you would probably have to supplement their diet with a thumbnail sized piece of raw shrimp soaked in Kent Marine Zoe, Kent Garlic Extreme, or Selcon

ok i will just keep 1 type of clown because i have no way of getting a tank over 55 gals. how do i get the ph to say 8.2 and keep it there??
and a tank always needs at least more then 2.5 ppm nitrates

do i need a carbon system or chiller?

is there any additives you recomend me getting?

Salt Water Reaf & Aquarium Equipment & Accessories

Hey,

I have been buying all of my salt water aquariums and accessories from LiveRockNReef.com for years now. They have everything you need to get started and the great thing is everything is pretty cheap and is of good quality. You should check them out when u get a sec. They also have some of the most beautiful Florida Live Rock I have ever seen. Theres a link below in my signature. If you do decide to buy something from them post back here and let me know what you think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob Kerr Live Rock N Reef

Your sand and salt should buffer the water so you start out at around 8.2

From there, it's tank maintenance, PWC's, correct stocking etc. that keeps it there.

Back
Top Bottom