Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

just a FYI if you get the walmart 55 gal tank... do not drill the tank... the whole tank is tempered glass... I found out the hard way

Over flow box is the way to go with that tank... good luck..

your getting some good advice so keep doing you rhomework and take things slow..

PS.... RO/DI water rules!!!

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #62
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
There should be a law that requires tank manufactures to put a label stating the bottom is tempered! Most respectable tank companies do but the Walmart tank was probably made in china.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #63

should i QUICKLY draw up a picture of the sump im planning on getting just to make sure i have everything down?

right now i dont have a job but this weekend im gonna start working(and making money!!!) REALLY excited about getting started

i looked for a gfci and the only one i found had only 2 plug ins on it can i hook up a surge protector to that?

and if i draw that how do i attacgh it to the forum?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
just a FYI if you get the walmart 55 gal tank... do not drill the tank... the whole tank is tempered glass... I found out the hard way
Hmm, that would explain my problem I had then. I was trying to use a 10 gallon that I got from Walmart as a fuge attached to the sump for my 90 gallon. I had the tank drilled thru the end panel at the glass shop. The hole gave the glass guy trouble and came out really ragged. So bad that they didn't even charge me for it. Sure enough after I got everything all connected and running it developed a bunch of cracks. A real mess to get my mud back out of it and all. Now replaced with rubbermaid and working much better. I thought tempered glass tended to shatter with drilling. Is that not true?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you only NEED one actual GFCI outlet. You then just plug your powerstrip into it and you're protected on each of the powerstrip outlets.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #66

yea i got that figured out (took me ahwile)lol

and how much did the 55 gallon tank and stand from walmart cost?? im going to head on over there tonight

im going to start a new forum tomorrow about stocking my aquarium and my different onptions

thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 PM   #67

i bought an ro/di unit of ebay for only 134 bucks but im going to hook it to a metal pipe into a faucet does this affect the water quality when it comes in contact with metal?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #68
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_wolff
im going to hook it to a metal pipe into a faucet does this affect the water quality when it comes in contact with metal?
Not at all since the hookup is before it goes through ro/di which would remove any metals from the water if present.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #69

does anyone have nething to say on the subject of me getting a yellow tang?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
they need lots of swiming room. I wouldn't suggest it. You could, but maybe not for the long term.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com