I need help with chosing my fish!! URGENT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theseainside

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi there,
i am getting a 75 gallon aquarium and just wandering if my stock list is compatible??? (it is fish a fish only tank)...

1x Moon wrasse
1x yellow box fish
1x kliens butterflyfish
1x threadfin butterflyfish
2x ocellaris clown fish
1x zebra lion fish
1x green mandarin dragonet!!

i think i overstocked pls. help me!!!
:fish1:

No way you can have those. Ditch the lion and the box fish. The lion will eat the clowns and mandarin and of the box gets stressed yet secrete a toxin that will wipe out your tank. They also get 1.5' long which is wayyyyy too big. Ditch them and I think your fine if you wait to add the mandarin after about a year.

Do some serious research on the mandarin. They are very expensive to keep alive and require a lot of hard work. Not reasonable to be kept captive honestly.

crister13 said:
No way you can have those. Ditch the lion and the box fish. The lion will eat the clowns and mandarin and of the box gets stressed yet secrete a toxin that will wipe out your tank. They also get 1.5' long which is wayyyyy too big. Ditch them and I think your fine if you wait to add the mandarin after about a year.

Agreed. Plus i would cut our one of the butterflys. Those are all big fish for a 75's bioload.

Ps. Why was this urgent? Fish arent even in the tank are they??

I too have to agree that the lion and boxfish dont work with that combo. The mandarin needs a very estabished tank with a big pod population.

Hmmm. Do you already have a saltwater tank? If this is your first start at salt water, may I suggest Mollies and Damselfish. Understand that Mollies grow nicer is saltwater than they do in brackish. You are going to lose fish when you first get it started. It would be sad to lose the fish that you bought the tank for.

I have killed fish unfortunately by rushing. It is better to take things slow.

I gotta disagree with the mollies and damsels. Damsels are aggressive little buggers and mollies are too "freshwater" to me. You can lose fish any time, so I have always got what I wanted and hope for the best. If the tank is cycled and maintained properly things will work in your favor most if the time.

I do agree with the others. Box fish can wipe out a tank with toxins. The Mandarin is not a good starter fish. The lion might be okay if you find appropriate fish to go around it, which most of those are not. Butterflies are really tough to keep too, so not a great starter fish (also better for an established tank).

I agree. Why so urgent? First, and don't take this the wrong way, but you do need to research! I have a Lunar wrasse: and that would be your biggest threat in your tank! he is a very aggressive fish! I am not even going to go into details about the others, because you need to take the time to research your interests! Start with picking the absolute fish you can start with, and post it on here. We will give your out opinion then.

OK, what positive list of fish should he start with? Would you recommend for him package starter saltwater fish deals from reputable dealers?

SRC <><

I think the idea is ...based on the info provided, which fish does he really want? You can build a cool tank around a lion fish. If the clowns are preferred, it can be built with those in mind. The original list was just a bad mix.

Back
Top Bottom