Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I Need Help With My Clownfish!

My poor little fish! I am new at this. Several days ago I added 2 clown fish to my 40 gallon tank. One is a maroon clown and the other is a tomato clown. They share the tank with one green chromis and and 3 damsels. At first they seemed to adjust very well but then I noticed the the tomato clown was attacking the poor little maroon clown. He has ripped off almost all of the fish's fins and the poor thing just laps around the top of the tank and trys to stay away from the other clown. I feel so bad, it looks so pathetic with all of his fins ripped off. The only two that are left are the ones on the side. What do I do?

Old 07-31-2003, 12:27 AM   #2
steve-s

First off Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tloktb26
What do I do?
I would choose which one should go back to the LFS. If purchased at the same time, the LFS should have informed you that this is impossible, especially in a small tank like a 40 gal.

Clown species should never be mixed in the same tank and never more than two of the same. Even in very large sytems does this rarely work.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-31-2003, 12:36 AM   #3

Thanks. If I decide to return the Tomato Clown, do you think that the Maroon Clown would be able to recover? Will his fins grow back?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:55 AM   #4
steve-s

Providing there are no other fish in the tank and the water quality is good, there is a decent chance. I'm sure you know these things are never 100% but I think trying to keep and save the badly hurt fish is quite commendable.

Once the aggressor is returned, keep feeding with Selcon or Zoe every day or second day. This will help improve the regrowth and health much faster. You may also wish to look into getting some Melafix which will aid the clown in repairing the fin tears and help prevent infection.

Good Luck!!
Cheers
Steve
Old 07-31-2003, 11:01 AM   #5

I actually do have other fish in the tank. I have 1 green chromis and 3 damsels. They pretty much stay away from both clown fish and the clown fish don't bother them either. Is the Selcon or Zoe and Melafix safe for the other fish in the tank? I appreciate all of your help. Thanks so much!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
steve-s

Selcon and Zoe are excellent vitamin additives for soaking the food, very beneficial and is recommended to use at least one of them weekly as regular part of feeding. It will help keep the immune system at peak performance.

The Melafix is a natural treatment containing "teatree" oil and is completely reef safe. It is mainly for the use with skin abrasions, fin problems and in some cases mild fungal problems.

Be very careful with the other fish in the tank. Once the dominant clown is removed, they can/will change their behavior quite quickly. In all honesty, you really should consider setting up a >>Q-tank<< and isolating the clown until it is well enough to be placed back with the others.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com