I need lots of advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceandelight

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so my main tank caught ich (powder brown tang, yellow tail wrasse, and banner butterfly fish) and has now been treated in the QT tank which they will be leaving on aug 19 (will be 48 days in QT) or anytime after that but we have another QT could I buy a tang … either Naso, Kole, or Achilles and put it in the other QT tank we have so that it can sit in there and get acclimated for a month and then when aug 19 rolls around I can add that guy in too? Or is this a bad idea?

The other question I have is that since I just upgraded to the 150 gallon and need more live rock I was planning on buying that in 2 weeks (liverocks.com next harvest since we live close enough to hand pick it from there) about 100lbs of it letting it cure for at least a week or two and then put it in the main tank let it sit for a week and then add all the fish I have sitting in QT tanks. Is this too much commotion all for like a months time?

The last question I have is about my fish list does anyone have any advice on if it is too much or who I should add in last ect. (150 gallon tank will soon have 300lbs of live rock FOWLR)

I have already
– Powered brown tang
- Yellow tail wrasse
- Banner butterfly fish

I would like to add (not all at once but eventually)
– Blue spotted kole tang
– Achilles tang
– Naso tang
– Long nose butterfly fish
– Some sort of angle --- I like the emperor angle and the majestic angle but I also like the dwarf flame back angle and the dwarf flame angle

Any advice is appreciated :p

As far as adding the fish and rock.... I would say that it sounds like a good idea to add the fish at the same time. That way the 2 tangs will not already have any set territory and would be more likely to get along. Especially since the body shapes of some of those tangs are similar.
If the rock is already cured when you add it you really should not have any problems. Just check your levels before and the day after you add it and see what is going on. As far as the tangs go I do not have a ton of experience with them but I think you want to watch putting to many that are similar shapes together as they can fight. I am sure someone that knows more about tangs will let you know.

the achilles tang is not a good choice for your tank, its survival rate is low, even for expert aquarists. The naso or the Kole would be an ok candidate.
I would not add another tang beyond the naso/kole (not both). Even though a 150 gallon may seem large, once you have all your rock in there, you will not have that much swim room for fish.
How big is your quarantine tank? seems like you have a good bit in it already. If you have the ability to quarantine in another tank, I think that will be the best way to go.

that is my opinion, I am sure others will differ.....

I thought that he had alot in the QT tank also, until I re-read the post and saw that he has another seperate QT tank.

Hi, I would agree with what everyone else has said here. The Powder Brown Tang is very territorial and is generally recommended to be added to the tank last. I think you'll be pushing your luck adding two or more tangs.

agreed with Hara.. i do not see many Archilles in home aquariums due to their low survival rate..

do not add both kole/naso tangs.. i'd choose one..

as far as ur emperor angel/majestic.. both get quite large, it should be okay but if u would like to go with a dwarfie.. it be much better for ur bioload.. unless u get the angel juvenile then u'd get a good 4-5 years before they get about 25cm or so..

Yeah I have done a lot of reading on the Archilles and I was thinking it might not be that great of an idea. :? At the moment since all my fish are in QT tanks I could actually add the powder brown last (we have a few extra 30 gallon tanks right now and HOB fliters I would just have to find/buy the fish) although he doesn't seem all that territorial he doesn't bother my banner butterfly or my wrasse even when I put food in the tank he is really small/ young yet he is probably 3in or so and doesn't even have his orange strip on his dorsel fin yet so I think he probably still a juvenile. As for the emperor/ majestic angle if I get either one they would be juvenile because I want to watch it grow.

so having 3 tangs is really to many?

three tangs is too many with the rest of the fish you have listed for sure. If it were just three tangs, you might be able to pull it off. With the amount of rock you have listed, and all the fish are "up front active swimmers" (not rock hiders) they will always be in each others faces.

I have 3 tangs in a 175, naso lopezi, scopas and a desjardini....my husband bought me a naso for my birthday and they harrassed it to its final demise (within days).

I haven't gotten all my rock yet what about if i stuck to like 200lbs rather then 300lbs. do you still think it wouldn't be a good idea? I am not set in stone to my list of fish execpt the 3 i have and the long nose butterfly but the kole tang and the naso tang are by far my next two choices but at the same time i want to do what is right for the fish. please let me know what your thoughts are thanks :D

I really feel your pain, I love tangs as well.....now you see why alot of us have way too many tanks ;)

I still would only add one more tang. If the rock is your major filtration means, you really shouldnt cut back on it much.

yeah I know but this saltwater tank started with the obsession by my boyfriend and has moved into me. we already have 7 tanks... not all saltwater of course but still... i am now torn on how to choose.... blast tangs and there need for all the swimming room :?

Back
Top Bottom