I need much advice on how to save my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff brown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi my name is Jeff. a friend is giving me his 40 gallon salt water tank . he has live sand and about 30 to 40 pounds of live rock. all his fish have died. the tank is currently sitting with no lights on . no filtration and has been neglected for at least 6 months. I need much advice on how to save this tank. I am setting this up for my 4 year old son and need to know how to make this tank healthy again so I can add new corals and fish. I had a salt water tank when I was a kid but have not messed with one in about 30 years. thanks in advance for any advice:)

help

a friend is giving me his 40 gallon salt water tank. it has live sand and about 30 to 40 pounds of live rock. all his fish have died , the tank is currently sitting with no lights . no filtration. it is heated . this tank has been neglected for at least 6 months . I need a lot of advice on how to save this tank . i want to be able to add new coral and fish . i am setting this up for my 4 year old son. i had a salt water tank when i was a kid but i have not messed with anything salt water in about 30 years so any advice will be greatly appreciated thank you in advance Jeff !:thanks:

That is pretty easy. If you want to keep corals what kind of lights are over the unit?
How long was this tank set up?
This is a discussion about not saving a tank, as everything died already. You basically are starting fresh.

The lights are led but the tank looks horrible and he don't know what any of his ph levels are. The lights have been off for months. He was going to just throw the tank away and I figured I would try to save it. Should I get rid of the water and start fresh or try to correct every thing I'm the tank ?

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the community.

So to understand, there is not an air bubbler going on either, just sitting still with nothing running on the tank for that amount of time???

What is the equipment that is with the tank?

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the community.

So to understand, there is not an air bubbler going on either, just sitting still with nothing running on the tank for that amount of time???

What is the equipment that is with the tank?
To the best of my knowledge the tank has just been sitting he has led lights but they have been off he removed his filter quite some time ago and put it in a fresh water tank. There is no air bubbeler or any thing to keep water moving. He was going to throw the tank away. I figured I would try to save it . But don't want to waste hundreds of dollars for nothing. So I'm trying to figure out if it can be saved ??? Thanks

Start fresh. There isn't anything in there to save. Scrub the rock down and pitch the sand. Then find what the lights are on if they'll support corals.

Back
Top Bottom