I need some advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so it day 50 and my levels are 0.Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.I am going to wait one week and check the levels again and then I want to introduce Corolline algae using rock that has it on it.Question one: should I have no Trates?I introduced Ammonium chloride on day 6 and I have been testing every day and I added more ammonia yesterday.Yesterday tests said I had 0 ammonia and trates and .25 ppm of trites. Question two: If I test next week and still have 0 levels across the board is it a good time to introduce Corolline algae?Question three: Should I do a one hhundred percent water change before introducing the corroline algae?Any advice would be appreciated!:fish1:

Okay so it day 50 and my levels are 0.Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0.I am going to wait one week and check the levels again and then I want to introduce Corolline algae using rock that has it on it.Question one: should I have no Trates?I introduced Ammonium chloride on day 6 and I have been testing every day and I added more ammonia yesterday.Yesterday tests said I had 0 ammonia and trates and .25 ppm of trites. Question two: If I test next week and still have 0 levels across the board is it a good time to introduce Corolline algae?Question three: Should I do a one hhundred percent water change before introducing the corroline algae?Any advice would be appreciated!:fish1:

It does seen odd that your trates are at 0. Especially since it seems your cycle just ended. Hmm I'm not good with that stuff so maybe someone else can chime in. On to question 2, you can introduce the coralline whenever. It will take a long while before it starts to grow. The 100% water change is not going to do anything to encourage its growth. It just takes time for it to grow.

The reason I was wondering about the 100% water change was it was suggested by Bulk Reef Supply in an instructional video for curing lr. There was a segment on using dry rock.They recommended doing a 100% water change when it was determine that the base rock was now live.If testing after one week the ammonia and trite levels were still zero you most likely had lr. Do a 100% wc and wait one more week and add fish if the levels were still 0.What are your thoughts?Is a water change necessary before adding fish after curing lr?

Dose ammo to 0.2ppm wait 24 hrs then test for Amm. nitrItes and nirtAtes If your tank is cycled you'll have 0 amm. 0 nitrItes and some nitrAtes

Day 50? This is a long cycle. Coralline algae survives pretty much anything IME, and i don't think it would hurt to add it. Just use a knife and scrape it off of the rock you have it on and sprinkle that right in the tank. That would create a faster spread than just dropping in a rock.

I didn't scrape my rock and spread it in my tank. I heard that starts it on the glass and it's a royal pain :) but my coraline algae is already beginning to spread!! :) I dropped my live rock in right after my cycle finished (a week ago)

I didn't say it wouldn't spread, I said it would spread faster if you scraped it off and added it to the water column.

Coralline will go on the glass whether you scrape it off or not. Honestly I used to want coralline as I felt it made the tank more "mature" but now I feel that it just consumes essential elements like ca and mg that the corals need to grow so I don't know if I'm all that in love with it.

I feel the same way. lol It was really cool at first now it just is another thing I have to scrape.

Back
Top Bottom