I Need Some Guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys so i'm starting up my nano which you can take a look at and follow in the nano section. I have a few questions though, and i was hoping to get some help. I have a Jebo 352KG 17 gallon aquarium.

1) Would one T8 10000K bulb sustain soft corals? I currently have 2 in the canopy but i was thinking of switching one with an actinic bulb.

2) So far my filtration system has 2 compartments filled with ceramic rings and filter sponge. I'm going to add carbon but is it necessary?

3) Do i need a protein skimmer?

I think that's it for now :oops: Sorry for all the questions, i just wanna make sure i do this right.

1) I'm not too sure about how a T8 would perform in a tank that size tbh. I would think it may support some soft corals. I don't think they would "thrive" under that light and at that bulb temp. Hopefully someone with more experience in T8's can chime in.

2) Carbon is not "necessary" in any tank. If you have it already I'd add it in and use it. If anything it may help clear the water a bit. It all depends on your feeding habits and livestock etc.

3) No you do not need a protein skimmer on that tank. Regular water changes will keep your nitrates in check. Since you're not keeping any corals sensitive to low parameters, you'll be fine with just water changes.

Thanks! I'm gonna run it without carbon and if things get cloudy i'll pick some up. I'm still a little confused about the lighting though :ermm:

Are you sure they're T8's? I would expect any new tank to at least use T5s. T8's are awfully outdated.

You could at least try some mushrooms in that tank. I doubt it would support much else other than some NPS which are fairly difficult to keep.

You could at least try some mushrooms in that tank. I doubt it would support much else other than some NPS which are fairly difficult to keep.

I was only thinking of getting mushrooms and polyps. I guess ill have to invest in better lighting eventually.

Back
Top Bottom