I need some objective opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMaffei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, here's the situation. Money is tight but I have found what I think is an awesome freaking deal! I am wanting to start a SW tank and have found the following items for sale. I would like an outside opinion as to whether or not this is a good buy. I don't want to be blinded by the fact that this is something that I really want! Here is the list that the owner gave me:

AQUARIUM

180 GALLON GLASS FISH TANK
4 DOOR BLACK STAND

THE DEFLECTOR BY BOWDOIN PRODUCTS
JBJ AQUALIGHTING FIXTURE

FILTERS
1 GIANT RECTANGLE FILTER
3 HAGEN FLUVAL 303 CANISTER FILTERS
1 HAGEN FLUVAL 403 FILTER
1 BOX FLUVAL 403 FOAM

HEATERS

PUMPS
2 RIO 2100 PUMPS 692g.p.h.
1 BERLIN PUMP BY RED SEA FISH PHARM

3 NETS

BIG CORAL ROCKS

CHEMICALS

RED SEA FISH PHARM CALCIUM PRO MINI LAB TEST
DRY TAB PHOSPHATE PO 3 4 TEST KIT
SALTWATER MASTER LIQUID TEST KIT
KH TEST BY AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICALS
MARDEL AQUA LAB TOXIC AMMONIA TEST STRIPS

8oz. KENT ZOE MARINE VITAMIN & MINERAL SUPPLEMENT
8oz. KENT MARINE STRONIUM & MOLYBDENUM MINERAL SUPPLEMENT
8oz. KENT MARINE CONCENTRATED LIQUID CALCIUM
8oz. KENT MARINE PHYTOPLEX
8oz. KENT MARINE RX P
8oz. KENT MARINE PRO CLEAR MARINE CLARIFIER
250ml. KENT MARINE REGENERABLE TOXIC METAL SPONGE

4oz.. ALGATE DETROYER LIQUID
PROPER PH 6.5 BY AQUARIUM PHARMACEUTICALS
4oz. BRITE N' CLEAR WATER CLARIFIER
8 2.25oz. PACKAGES OF AQUARIUM ENZYMES
2 15lb. BAGS OF INSTANT OCEAN
20oz. AMMO-CARB FOR FRESH WATER
1 GALLON KONDON AMQUEL WATER CONDITIONER
AQUATRONICS WOUND CONTROL
4oz. CYCLE BIOLOGICAL AQUARIUM SUPPLEMENT BY ROLF C. HAGEN

Sorry that this post is sooo long but I need the opinion of the experts here at the forum. I have been bargaining with the owner and I can get everything for $600.00US. Any thoughts or opinions? I think this is the best deal I could ever hope to find! Can anyone give me an idea of what I would be looking at retail cost? Any/all info/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
James

I think retail cost you'd be looking at way over 2000.00, although it's been awile since I've looked at the cost of any of this stuff. FWIW, when pricing a used system, the only thing I look at are tank, stand, pumps and filters, only the hardware.

so far i have:
75 gal tank and stand 400.00
30 gal long to turn into sump 51.00
3 maxijet pumps for circulation 65.00
light being made 494.00 with out bulbs
VELOCITY PUMP T4 165.00
LCD DIGITAL 250W TITANIUM HEATER 52.00
PRO-HEAT IC HEATER 200W 24.95
4 bags southdown playsand 15.00
1266.95 with more yet to buy ie bulbs for light probably around 250.

Although I see a lot of pieces you won't need, that's a good deal. I would jump on it. I'm sure you realize that you'll have to put a lot of money in this setup to get it going though. You can always sell off the extra canisters and stuff.

Thanks for the opinions. I agree that the hardware is the most important part when buying used goods RR. Logan, I agree that there are a lot of "extra's" with this deal. I just wanted to show those of you who responded what I was seeing when looking at this investment. I was thinking along the same lines as you Logan as far as selling of the "extra's" that aren't needed to recoup some of my money. Then I can purchase exactley what I want for my new aqaurium. This way I will be at a minimal investment with what will hopefully be a pretty sweet setup!

The 180 Gal buildup in the DIY section might be of some help to you...it's not really well documented because I have a junky camera.

Just for comparison I've been shopping for a 180gal tank recently and my LFS quoted me $650.00 for an AGA 180 gal, drilled with 2 overflows installed. I didn't check on the price of a stand because I plan on installing this tank in a wall.

Brian

I took time to read the DIY post you started on building up a 180. I found it to be very informative as to what issues I might run into when setting up what will hopefully be my 180 today! have to find a time that works for the owner and myself to make the transaction. I am sure that I will be asking a whole lot of questions when my build process begins as I have never took on a challenge larger than a 55!

James

Back
Top Bottom